Thread: Transmission + Mobile Broadband + Opening Ports

Beans
    Hidden!

Transmission + Mobile Broadband + Opening Ports

hello everyone,

can someone help me understand transmission?
    when i download a well seeded, not too large torrent, transmissions download speed goes to max and stays there. unfortunately the content of those torrents often isn't interesting to me.

however if i download a large torrent with not too many seeds and many leeches, download speed does not go very high and fluctuates a lot. please keep in mind that what for me is the highest speed, is very slow for most people nowadays.
    but, even if i have several not so good torrents running the download speed does not rise.
    there even seem to be some torrents that seem to slow down others.
    upload speed always goes up to the max.
    right now transmission limits upload to about 75% of max, 60 peers max per torrent, and 240 globally.
    i uusually have only a few active torrents, like 1 or 2 downloading, a couple more seeding.

i have tried all kinds of speed restrictions, globally and per torrent, but see no improvement.

and then there's port forwarding... i tried all kinds of ports, they are ALWAYS closed. how come i can download at all?
    changing ports randomly seems to change things but usually for the worse, and i can't see a pattern in it.
    every explanation i read says it's about the router, and every time i think: and what about mobile broadband? is there a router in my case?

the ubuntu firewall (ufw) is not active.

any help? explanations? is there anything i can do to increase transmissions speed/efficiency for rare torrents?

thanks a lot.

ps:
    i'm using xubuntu 11.10, wvdial to connect to the internet via mobile broadband, a huawei dongle.
    i decided on the cheapest "broad"band with only 512Kb/s.

i know there's a billion why-is-my-torrent-download-so-slow-threads out there.
    still, i hope someone will take the time to read this, recognize that i'm not a complete moron, and maybe be able to help, or even explain.
    i've had this nagging me for years. network protocols just don't make themselves clear to me
    Last edited by ohnonot; September 12th, 2012 at 07:36 AM.
    please stick to the facts and be kind.
    what else can you do when you don't know each other.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my avatar

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Transmission + Mobile Broadband + Opening Ports

any body please? at least about opening ports and mobile broadband?
    please stick to the facts and be kind.
    what else can you do when you don't know each other.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my avatar