Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Install Slackware in VirtualBox

Beans

Cannot Install Slackware in VirtualBox

Cannot create the machine folder Slackware 64-13.37 in the parent folder /home/brian/VirtualBox VMs.

Please check that the parent really exists and that you have permissions to create the machine folder.

This is the pop-up that appears when I try the first step in installing Slackware on VB. I had to go into terminal to make the directory using sudo... It seems that i'm not allowed to edit any files in the file manager, but only if I go to terminal and use "sudo" before everything. Also, how do I delete directories in terminal, since I now have "VirtualBox" and "VMs" in my efforts to create "VirtualBox VMs"

Also, is there a way where I can permanently edit folders without having to go to the terminal and use "sudo" before everything?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Cannot Install Slackware in VirtualBox

Code:
    sudo -i
    will give you root rights until that terminal session is closed.

Sounds like your read/write settings might be screwed on your home folder?

navigate to the home folder (/home not /home/brian) and do a
    Code:
    ls -l
    edit:
    have a quick look here too:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1872706
    Last edited by muteXe; September 10th, 2012 at 04:40 PM.

Beans

This happened

brian@brzan:/home$ ls -l
    total 4
    drwxr-xr-x 32 1016 1016 4096 Sep 10 10:18 brian
    brian@brzan:/home$

I am not really sure what that means.

As for that link, even though I input my username correctly, brian.brzan, it couldnt recognize it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Also, is there a way where I can permanently edit folders without having to go to the terminal and use "sudo" before everything?
    Code:
    man chown
    man chmod

Beans

Thank you for those commands

Now how about this issue with VB?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

are you logged in as brian?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marinara View Post
    are you logged in as brian?
    That is the only way to be on my desktop. I boot, login on the welcome screen, and that IS what you mean, right?

I am starting to suspect that every time I get to my desktop, I must "sudo -i" in the terminal to allow me to run any program. I do not like this at all, and there must be a way to never have to give permission to anything. Im not just talking about "sudo -i" until the terminal is closed, I mean permanently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

did you actually read my link? Those commands were in there!

And you should NOT need to be root. You should try and get it working how it should, rather than trying to give yourself root privs all the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thread moved to Virtualization.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by PremiumG View Post
    I do not like this at all, and there must be a way to never have to give permission to anything. Im not just talking about "sudo -i" until the terminal is closed, I mean permanently.
    If we go back to your original post:

Quote Originally Posted by PremiumG View Post
    I had to go into terminal to make the directory using sudo...
    By using sudo when creating a directory in your home folder, you created a root owned directory - in fact, two. Nothing should be owned by root in your home. If you were unable to create a folder in the file manager in your home then, as muteXe indicated earlier, something is wrong somewhere inside your home. You need to find out what that is and fix it before even thinking of installing something in VirtualBox.

Having said all that, it's not clear from your OP whether the /home/brian/VirtualBox VMs folder was not there, or whether it was owned by root. You made a mistake when you tried to create /home/brian/VirtualBox VMs in the terminal by not escaping the space character which is why you ended up with the two folders /home/brian/VirtualBox and /home/brian/VMs. Post the output of this so we can see where you are now:

Code:
     ls -l /home/brian
    Quote Originally Posted by muteXe View Post
    And you should NOT need to be root. You should try and get it working how it should, rather than trying to give yourself root privs all the time.
    +1

EDIT: the output you posted in post #3 tells us that the permissions in your home folder - /home/brian - are correct and that you should be able to create sub-folders with the file manager.

Going back to your OP:

Cannot create the machine folder Slackware 64-13.37 in the parent folder /home/brian/VirtualBox VMs.

Please check that the parent really exists and that you have permissions to create the machine folder.
    I'm beginning to suspect that the sole problem was that /home/brian/VirtualBox VMs did not exist yet - one of the two possible conditions the error tells you - and that you focussed on the second possibility.
    Last edited by coffeecat; September 11th, 2012 at 10:15 AM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast