Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu/Windows 8 dual-booting. Anticipating support needs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Ubuntu/Windows 8 dual-booting. Anticipating support needs.

In a few weeks time, machines with Windows 8 pre-installed will become available. Windows 8 will bring with it a few new issues related to dual-booting with Ubuntu and the staff have been having a discussion about whether and how we need to anticipate these with information useful to all, especially newcomers. The issues we have identified so far, some of which have already been seen with Windows 7 but which will become commoner with the advent of Windows 8, are as follows:

• The hybrid Windows 8 hibernate/shutdown causing loss of files saved to a shared NTFS partition from another OS. See this thread for more.

• UEFI/GPT dual-booting.

• Secure boot. Microsoft requires the ability to disable secure boot via firmware setup on non-ARM systems (page 121, #18) for hardware certification for Windows 8. In addition, Ubuntu 12.10 will work with secure boot enabled. However, is it possible that a manufacturer could release hardware non-compliant with Microsoft's certification requirement, which would cause problems with pre-12.10 Ubuntu releases?

• Samba vs Windows 7/8 homegroups.

• Refresh and Reset functions. My own experiments with the release preview show that grub and Ubuntu survive both the Windows 8 reset and refresh functions, but this was on a conventional BIOS machine with MBR partition table. I have no UEFI machine to check this with a UEFI/GPT system.

• Storage Spaces.

Comments from the forum community as a whole would be valued. Specific questions are:

• Anything we've missed?

• Any suggestions about how we could meet this need? Is there a need? A sticky with links to wiki articles perhaps? Bear in mind that we are moving away from having full-scale howtos on the forum. Useful links would be helpful (and see next item).

• UEFI booting. The Ubuntu wiki UEFI booting page would be daunting for newcomers. Does anyone know of a guide more suited for newbies?

EDIT - I'd missed that the wiki page had been edited with a link to a simpler guide a little while before I posted this post. The simpler guide is here - endedit

Or any other suggestions would be welcome.

Please note that this thread is not the place to discuss the pros and cons of secure boot, the pros and cons of any feature of Windows 8, your opinion of Microsoft, or anything else not related to how we provide an information resource about dual-booting with Windows 8. Off-topic posts will be removed.
    Last edited by coffeecat; September 10th, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: Ubuntu/Windows 8 dual-booting. Anticipating support needs.

Good thread.

- UEFI is not specific to Windows8 (it has appeared with Windows7. MacUEFi may be another problem), and it is not a big problem. There are still several GRUB&Ubiquity bugs to solve, but there are reliable workarounds ( https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI). As UEFI computers are becoming numerous since 2011, I think we should add recommendations in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot (I already updated https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DiskSpace )
    - Problems due to Windows8 hibernating / fast reboot. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/1042159 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...g/+bug/1043149

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu/Windows 8 dual-booting. Anticipating support needs.

I have been using Windows 8 professional as an MSDN subscriber through my university, and have successfully had both operating systems installed. My only hint for others is that the option to "Install along side Windows" option does not work. Users need to create a boot partition, and install the GRUB bootloader to that partition.

EasyBCD (freeware) also allows users to add Ubuntu to their windows Bootloader (its a nice GUI that might not scare them as much as GRUB might).
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Re: Ubuntu/Windows 8 dual-booting. Anticipating support needs.

@holastickboy: some problems have been reported when using EasyBCD / BCDedit on a UEFI system. Have you successfully used EasyBCD on a UEFI system?

Beans

If it is of any use to you guys, I just installed ubuntu for the first time ever (dual-boot with windows 8 ). Actually, it's the first time i ever installed a linux distribution in my life. The installation went flawlessly even though i had to mess with the bcd beforehand due to an old win7 install. Dual-booting works fine and a reset of windows 8 didn't mess grub up. Considering the fact that i'm a total newb, this is fantastic work!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Doing a Windows 8 reset in my experience has not messed with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I wonder if people will ask about wubi on Windows 8, and what to tell them if they do.
    Last edited by searchfgold6789; October 23rd, 2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: typo
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by searchfgold6789 View Post
    I wonder if people will ask about wubi on Windows 8.
    Good point - thanks. I haven't seen it mentioned. Have you tested wubi in W8 yourself? If I find time, I'll see what happens when I try to install wubi in W8 in my UEFI W8/12.04 dual-boot.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

From what I understand, Wubi does not work in a full UEFI boot system (bug 694242). It should be okay with hybrid boot with a MBR partitioned disk.

I've been running Wubi on Windows 8 without any issues for a while. The only issue which I found from one of the bug reports identified by YannBuntu above was that if you enable hybrid-sleep then you'll have problems (but it doesn't appear as if hybrid-sleep is switched on by default). Fast-start on the other hand (which is on by default) doesn't seem to bother Wubi, but does affect a normal dual boot. I blogged about it here.
    Last edited by bcbc; October 24th, 2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: added bug reference

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I just updated from XP Home SP3 32 bit to W8 Pro 32. Install took about an hour and everything hardware seems to work. I have an ATI HD 4200 onboard GPU.

When I ran the pre update check it stated that I did not have a Secure Boot drive. I installed windows on an older 7200rpm IDE drive and have 12.04 on my new SATA drive. Grub did not seem to be effected.

Bedtime here. Would you like me to try a WUBI install tomorrow?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast