Thread: installing themes in 12.04?

Beans

installing themes in 12.04?

I am trying to install some new themes in xubuntu 12.04 and I cannot seem to make them work.
    I went into my home/username folder and created a .themes folder and extracted them all there . but they do not show up in the appearance tab in the settings manager.
    so after some digging i found the standard themes in usr/share/themes.
    But I cannot move my themes folders into the usr/share/thems folder. is there a way to get root access to move them? do i have to do this in a terminal window? and if so how?.
    thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: installing themes in 12.04?

Where did you get your themes and what themes are you trying to install?

Extracting your themes into .themes in your home folder should work for your user. Putting them into /usr/share/themes just enables theme system wide for all users. Essentially for your purposes they are the same thing.
    True freedom requires sacrifice and pain. Most human beings only think they want freedom. In truth they yearn for the bondage of social order, rigid laws, materialism, the only freedom man really wants, is the freedom to become comfortable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtime_Scrub View Post
    Where did you get your themes and what themes are you trying to install?

Extracting your themes into .themes in your home folder should work for your user. Putting them into /usr/share/themes just enables theme system wide for all users. Essentially for your purposes they are the same thing.
    I downloaded them from xfcelook.org
    I got two that had 3 options in each
    151465plasmabugfix.tar.gz and xaphire.xfwm4.pack.tar.gz
    these are the ones I downloaded so if i dont have to put them into the usr/share/themes folder how do i get them to work?

Beans

well heres a small update, I rebooted the pc and one of my new themes now shows up in the main "appearance" list. the plasma one works fine . I have also noticed that the plasma theme has gtk-2 gtk-3 and xfwn4 files in there folders and the theme with only xfwm4 in its folder wont show up. does this mean that the xfwm4 just wont work? and I just need to use gtk2/3 themes?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If the theme has gtk-2.0 and gtk-3.0 folders, then it is an appearance theme and you can set in "Settings Manager -> Appearance". If it has an xfwm4 folder, then it is a window manager theme and can be set in the "Settings Manager -> Window Manager".

More detailed explanation here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...30&postcount=4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    If the theme has gtk-2.0 and gtk-3.0 folders, then it is an appearance theme and you can set in "Settings Manager -> Appearance". If it has an xfwm4 folder, then it is a window manager theme and can be set in the "Settings Manager -> Window Manager".

More detailed explanation here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...30&postcount=4
    cool Thanks for the help.