Thread: 2nd HDD suddenly disappeared

Beans

2nd HDD suddenly disappeared

I recently installed a 2nd HDD in my optical drive space using an optibay imitator. Basically, there is a PATA to SATA converter so that I have an HDD instead of a disk drive. On my regular SDD I put MAC OSX, and on the HDD I put Ubuntu. I have a late 2006 MacBook.

Everything worked great except for one minor glitch. When I would restart my mac, the computer wouldn't see the Ubuntu HDD. I believe it is because the HDD wasn't spinning in time for the kernel to see it. Anyways, when I would turn my computer off completely, and then turn it on, everything worked perfect.

Today, for no apparent reason, when I turn on my Mac (NOT restart) the 2nd HDD is missing. Any Ideas?

Beans

Re: 2nd HDD suddenly disappeared

It seems to have begun working, although now when I boot Ubuntu it gets stuck on the part where it says it is starting the CUPS server. How can I fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 2nd HDD suddenly disappeared

I would hazard a guess that there isn't enough power being given to the disk to spin up.

If the disk doesn't have a separate power supply, and is using the mac for power, you may not be able to solve the issue.

The Ubuntu startup stalling may be a related issue - there's not enough power to go round as devices are started up, causing the OS to hang / freeze.