Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Netgear Wireless USB Adapter Out-of-the-box Issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Netgear Wireless USB Adapter Out-of-the-box Issues

Thank you chili555 for your support in assisting me in getting the adapter working, but for reliability reasons, I'll consider getting a wired connection instead of using this temperamental USB Adapter.

Networking trouble aside, I'd just like to say thank you to the developers for their hard work on building this incredible OS - Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Networking is a bit hit and miss. Some devices work well pretty consistently. I've had four Intel devices and never had the slightest issue. Broadcoms are usually solid.

Some devices seem to be very good for a couple of releases and stumble for a couple more. Realtek comes to mind. Older devices like your carl and the older Prism cards seem to just fade out. That's the challenge for me, finding a workable solution. Sometimes the only solution is the bin.

I regret I couldn't be of more assistance.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Good news! The adapter seems to running properly again after I've wiped and freshly installed Ubuntu 12.10.

I can declare this thread solved, the carl9170 driver is working well at a stable speed of 54 Mb/s connected to a WPA-secured router for the past few hours.

Just to re-cap:
    Ubuntu 11.04 -- works out-of-the-box flawlessly. Uses older driver.
    Ubuntu 11.10, 12.04 -- has connection difficulties, uses new driver.
    Ubuntu 12.10 -- works out-of-the-box flawlessly again, uses updated driver.

I would like to thank the Ubuntu and Networking developers, maybe the bug reports have been reflected!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12