Thread: Opening correct archives

Beans

Question Opening correct archives

Hi,

I'm very new to using ubuntu and need to learn the very basics.

Tried to install flash for example, i downloaded the tar.gz files, extracted it but was unsure of how to install it.

I've searched for other newbie threads but was unable to find them. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Cheers, John

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Opening correct archives

John;
    Hi ! Welcome to the forum.

How 'bout an easy way? ... Down load the restricted extras package in the ubuntu software center. Flash is a part of that package deal and will be installed for you.
    (as well a other codecs and plugins that are nice to have).

regards <==BDQ

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    John;
    Hi ! Welcome to the forum.

How 'bout an easy way? ... Down load the restricted extras package in the ubuntu software center. Flash is a part of that package deal and will be installed for you.
    (as well a other codecs and plugins that are nice to have).

regards <==BDQ
    Thanks Bashing-om. Do you download the majority of your programs from the ubuntu software center?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you want to install an app, first look in the Ubuntu Software Center. Applications installed by yourself (i.e. not adding a deb repository) are not updated/patched, and will have to be manually updated to avoid security problems and bugs.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro

+1 on sanyd's advise.

The repositories are always the first choice. Be aware that ALL other alternatives require a working knowledge of linux and the process can be fraught with trial and error (and more errors) ... That said, your system is your system, and ubuntu will allow you to make/do whatever you have the ability to accomplish. There exist tons of software out there, some/ lots that pertain to old kernels, that will have problems on newer kernels
    install directions that are out-dated, source code with errors....you name it ... all can be to the good....
    Nor, is this to deny that there are great apps that will install flawlessly that also have good install directions.
    The point to be made is be aware of what you are installing ,, and have impliceint trust in the source (to the point that sometimes is needed to sit down and study the source code).

When you depart from the GUI, you are embarking on a means to truly unleash the power of ubuntu.

that is my humble opinion <==BDQ

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    If you want to install an app, first look in the Ubuntu Software Center. Applications installed by yourself (i.e. not adding a deb repository) are not updated/patched, and will have to be manually updated to avoid security problems and bugs.
    Thanks. I've began using the Ubuntu software center. Its very easy to use and i would recommend it to everyone!!

Beans
    Distro

Great !

Just remember ... 0ther resources are available ...but, have a good reason to use them!

enjoy ububtu <==BDQ