I'm trying to fill some knowledge gaps in what I know about how software makes it into Ubuntu repositories. I'm currently running Precise LTS, which I really like, but I've been most annoyed by seeing new releases announced of software that I use on a regular basis and find that they are not available in the repositories.

I understand that these software packages are developed independent of Ubuntu and that in order for some to make it into the repository, they have to be vetted for compatibility and that can take some time. So although a new release of software might come out, it may take some time for it to be available in the software tool.

Now I've tried ppa's which is how I was able to update from GIMP 2.6 to 2.8 but it doesn't seem to me that those are available for every piece of software out there. More recently, Amarok released its 2.6 version which doesn't seem to be available in the Ubuntu repositories. It does have a (K)ubuntu ppa that I tried but quickly reversed and removed when it didn't work.

I suppose the rambling on is my way of trying to convey the confusion of ideas that would provoke such questions which I guess, would boil down to these:

Are the software repositories for a certain release (Oneric, Precise) fixed after a certain date or are they still updated with newer versions of the third party software throughout their life?

If so, is there a priority or criteria for the ones that do get updated?

In the case of Amarok where it seems only a (K)ubuntu ppa for 2.6 is available, is it ok to add a (K)ubuntu ppa/package to an Ubuntu system?

Is there anything glaringly wrong with my understanding of how the repositories work?

-Joe