View Poll Results: Good idea to make performance a priority in 13.04

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

86 87.76%
  • No.

12 12.24%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 13.04 should be dedicated to performance.

Beans

Re: 13.04 should be dedicated to performance.

Not to minimize what Canonical and other Ubuntu developers do, but if you've been around for a few years you tend to notice that Ubuntu release focuses on depend as much on what upstream developers are doing as what the Ubuntu project does.
    Totally agree. The development done by Ubuntu engineers is just part of a much bigger eco-system.

However, since Cannonical are totally responsible for Unity and the Ubuntu Marketplace I would suggest that they work hard to try and improve the performance. I have found those parts of Ubuntu to lag heavily on older machines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I'm selfish in that I don't run any old machines, therefore do not care about Ubuntu's performance on such beasts; I would, however, like to see more development on streamlining the existing Unity interface. Laptop battery life (amongst other things) is still woeful when compared to Windows, but I imagine much of that is outside Ubuntu's control - short of developing more and more aspects of the OS.

Consumer operating systems have to be a good balance of performance, usability, and aesthetics; to focus primarily on one, would lead to a diminished product. For the record, I'm still a GS fan.

Beans

I do agree with the performance problem. With the whole Steam, Unity (the game engine) and other game studios starting to appear on Linux, it will be a disaster for Ubuntu and the Linux community if the performance issues are not addressed quickly. Think about this: If the Windows crowd try to switch or make a go at Ubuntu for their gaming needs and have to deal the with huge performance hit that we currently face, they will just laugh and go back to Windows.

Make no mistake: Ubuntu is THE premiere distro for gaming in Linux, with Steam, Unity (the game engine) and others only supporting Ubuntu for the time being. This means if any Windows gamer wish to try to use Linux as their main/only OS then it will be Ubuntu. But unlike us seasoned Linux users, the new-come Windows gamer crowd won't want to switch to XFCE, LXDE, KDE or some other DE / WM, just because Unity and Compiz give them such lousy performance in games.

No, they will simply laugh at us and run back to Windows, never to return. We will be the laughing stock - we will never hear the end of it how.. "Linux finally gets games, yet can't even run them well enough lol". This will spread like wildfire to their friends and other circles.

Ubuntu's chance of making something for itself with getting the market share it wants and other big studios onboard will simply turn away because Windows gamers took one look, laughed and ran back to Windows due to the performance issues. First impressions last, and unless Ubuntu can SHOW that it's worthwhile competitor to Windows for gaming (and other 3D work) straight off the bat, then gamers WILL run back to Windows.

Most of them simply do not care to install Ubuntu then some other desktop environment, just because the default one has such a huge performance loss. All they want to do is game, sure, later on they MAY be interested in tweaking their distro more, but you have to show them that Ubuntu is worth while - you have to make that first impression count.

You have to remember, many of these gamers have been bashing Linux for years, claiming "there are no games on Linux" and that "Linux is no good for gaming". Prove them wrong, fix the performance problems once and for all, otherwise you might as well pack up now, because one look and they'll just laugh and go back to Windows, taking the golden market share and developers with them.

EDIT: You need to wow them with performance. Make the Windows gamer go "WOW, Ubuntu gaming is great!" Being free is not enough, most of the gamer crowd run illegal copies of Windows anyway. You need to show the Windows gamers that Ubuntu performance is not only very good, but better than Windows. Frame rate and performance is everything to a gamer. I know, because I'm one of them.
    Last edited by 2XL; September 11th, 2012 at 05:30 PM.

Beans

I'm for the notion. I've been on 10.04 LTS and just recently switched to 12.04 LTS only to be presented with a clunky interface that's slow and feels bloaty. I've hopped over to Xubuntu.

It's not that Unity is garbage for everyone, since I can see why some ex-Apple fanboys/fangirls like it. But it's not for me and I haven't been able to get used to it because it feels very sluggish compared to the old Gnome. Even Gnome 2 with Compiz is/was a great performer as it ran like liquid even on relatively old hardware while still providing the eye candy.

Gnome 3 hasn't been the top performer, and while KDE4 is getting a good speed-boost it still has some polishing to be done until I feel like switching to it completely (can't wait for KDE5!).

In my opinion Linux is supposed to burn rubber and completely blow away any and all competition when it comes to performance. I suppose at the core it still does this, but with these new desktops environments I'm not so sure any more.
    Last edited by heminder; September 11th, 2012 at 06:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree with heminder. Without using things like Legacy modes in compiz or falling back to 2D environments full screen gaming is an problem.

If the DE can't play nice with the application then why use the DE?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    I agree with heminder. Without using things like Legacy modes in compiz or falling back to 2D environments full screen gaming is an problem.

If the DE can't play nice with the application then why use the DE?
    Windows users will simply see it as... "If Ubuntu can't play nice with the application, then why use Ubuntu/Linux?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by spaceshipguy View Post
    Fix the heat issue.
    Laptops are melting out there.
    Nobody likes an OS that kills their laptop.
    While I was having a problem with the power consumption of Fedora compared to Ubuntu 10.04, I've found that Ubuntu 12.04's power consumption very, very low. I run powertop and follow its suggestions -- and it consumes about a third less power according to powertop, and less than when I was running 10.04. This is true whether I'm running gnome session or unity.

I don't know why there's such a difference between the two -- they're pretty similar systems. I wish I understood Linux power consumption better...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I think they need to dedicate 13.04 to finding a new DE for default.

They at least need to start working on getting rid of that old corroded Compiz. Compiz was awesome in its day, but then again, so was Windows 3.11.
    'nuff said!

And I agree. Either that or just flippin' make it run smoother/lighter.

And btw, can someone explain to me why there are seemingly two panels now instead of one? (Unity launcher and the oldskool top panel) I mean wouldn't it make more sense and save more screen real-estate to just use ONE of them instead of having both?
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    However, since Cannonical are totally responsible for Unity
    Well, yes and no; Unity is a plugin to compiz, a compositing window manager that relies heavily upon GPU support/performance. Poor GPU driver support, or bugs in compiz, are absolutely going to impact the performance of Unity.

Not trying to be argumentative here, but people need to understand that no program is an island, and the more egregious issues are usually solved pretty far upstream.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I agree with this-but not just performance. We need to have the One Hundred Paper Cuts project again-fix usability issues that annoy everybody. Specifically, this is what I would like to see:
    1. Better driver support, and the option to install drivers direct from the manufacturer during the install. Also, make new open source drivers for devices where the manufacturers only support Windows. One place where this is really an issue is in the wireless card category-that seems to be the cause of half the problems here.
    2. Default to text-based installer if the video card is unusable with the built in drivers (and also have the text based installer as an option in some menu). This would really be good since the text based installer CD is being revoked, so why not integrate it with the regular CD?
    3. Speed. I remember when I first booted 12.04 from 11.10. 30 second boot time increase. Still 30 seconds faster than Windows, but every second feels like an ice age, regardless of how long it takes. Also, many people who try Ubuntu do so because Windows has grown to fast for their machines to keep up. Lets try to keep our bragging rights that we are much more efficient than Windows.
    4. Sleep mode. This must be improved-I hate having to close everything because I have to restart LightDM just due the lock screen not showing up when I open the lid of my laptop.
    5. Better gaming controller support. Specifically, I would like to see a GUI for Xbox PC controller drivers-I can not figure it out to save my own life, and some games do not support it or use weird keys, and others have partial support for the Xbox controller (like Portal under Steam under Wine).
    6. A new group management system GUI would be nice. Although I can use the built in terminal group manager just fine, for new users it can be daunting, adding themselves to groups just to be able to perform certain tasks. I know this because I was once trying to figure out what the heck a usergroup was.
    But, all of these are just suggestions. Still, they are common gripes that are probably the biggest source of frustration for the average user.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast