Code:
    andrew@skamandros~$ uname -p
    AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
    I hate you

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: New computer build

i'd be interested in some links for a motherboard with that hardware based virturalization you spoke of. I currently am specing a new build as well.

Been using a 1.8ghz C2D and only 2GB of DDRII ram (maxed out) for the last 7 years. Looking at the 6 core Phenom II from AMD. Already have a GPU and case. I have to check whether my Xion PSU has an 8 plug ATX power plug, I think it's only 4. So I may need a new PSU as well.

So I need a CPU, MB, RAM (going to start with 8GB but want expandability)and maybe a PSU.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    i'd be interested in some links for a motherboard with that hardware based virturalization you spoke of.
    Somewhere (not sure if it was here) I posted some links wrt hardware virturalization but from what I recall most of it was for Intel based boards and ASRock Z77 boards comes to mind.

I'll try and look for the links but if you don't here from me drop me a PM to remind me as I might have forgotten (getting old).
    Last edited by CharlesA; December 13th, 2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: fixed busted quote

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I hate you
    Hehehehe . Already having a motherboard with an AM3+ socket made it all too tempting, particularly when the 8350 costs a little more than $200 only, compares pretty favorably with intel offerings!
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hehehehe . Already having a motherboard with an AM3+ socket made it all too tempting, particularly when the 8350 costs a little more than $200 only, compares pretty favorably with intel offerings!
    someone else was saying that the new bulldozer chips aren't as good as the previous phenom II chips. that a phenom II X6 has 6 true cores where the new FX series don't have true 6 or 8 cores. is this true?

Beans

A good start would be the 10 pages starting here:

AMD FX-8350 "Vishera" Linux
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...rabdver2&num=1

but I have to admit I try to stay away from most of the fanatical blogs comparing cpus, my current cpu will do me fine for the next year or 2 and I will be productive with it
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wednesday allfather View Post
    Hi community. I...........

Thank you kindly.
    Its really hard to help without giving bland answers. Reason being is we dont know the type of video cards you have and what other version of hardware you have now.

Most new motherboards will be supporting SATA3, USB3, PCI-X3 as well as DDR3-1600. So, chances are older RAM or a video card older then 5ish years may not work. I know I just gave away quite a few good condition AGP video card because all new systems I have are on PCI-X, also speaking of PCI. I even had to get a new sound card for my gaming rig because my older Sound Blaster sound card was standard PCI and most (not all yet) newer boards are going all PCI-eXpress.

Honestly if you looking to stay on a low budget, go to your local electronics store and get a eMachine or HP or something. You can get a reasonable system for about 499USD. Building your own is seldom cheaper, but building your own can give you a higher quality system at times.

Not going to go hunt up parts and prices for you, there are a hundred different ways to make a hamburger under a buck. All are correct, yet all are better then the other.. So best bet is for you to choose what you want.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123