Thread: Can't open anything in "places" menu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Can't open anything in "places" menu

I am using Gnome Classic in Ubuntu 12.04

Any time that I try to open anything in the "places" menu (for example, home folder), I either get an error saying that no program is associated with this option or I get something that says "opening xxx" where xxx is the option, but no nautilus screen every opens. I can use nautilus by opening it with gnome-do, the commands menu, or hotkeys that I had set up. Do you have any suggestions how I can get the places menu to work again? Thanks!

EDIT: Nautilus works everywhere else, and when I try the other menu applet, it still doesn't work.
    Last edited by josephellengar; September 9th, 2012 at 02:52 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can't open anything in "places" menu

Quote Originally Posted by josephellengar View Post
    I am using Gnome Classic in Ubuntu 12.04

Any time that I try to open anything in the "places" menu (for example, home folder), I either get an error saying that no program is associated with this option or I get something that says "opening xxx" where xxx is the option, but no nautilus screen every opens. I can use nautilus by opening it with gnome-do, the commands menu, or hotkeys that I had set up. Do you have any suggestions how I can get the places menu to work again? Thanks!

EDIT: Nautilus works everywhere else, and when I try the other menu applet, it still doesn't work.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel --reinstall
    ? May do the trick.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-panel --reinstall
    ? May do the trick.
    Nope. No good. But thanks for the advice. I also restarted the computer and did a pkill gnome-panel.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Bump with extra information. When I click on the trash applet in my gnome-panel I get the following error:
    Error while spawning nautilus:
    No application is registered as handling this file

Beans

You should create a new user, log in to it & see if things work or don't there.
    If they work as expected then you've some local setting, config or something amiss which shouldn't be too difficult to track down.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    You should create a new user, log in to it & see if things work or don't there.
    If they work as expected then you've some local setting, config or something amiss which shouldn't be too difficult to track down.
    Hmm, I created a new user but I can't log in. When I try the screen flashes black for an instant and then it goes back to the login screen. It gives me no message or anything. It also definitely does not say the password is wrong. Actually I've tried to login both with and without a password on the account.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Solved it. I had to go into nautilus, right-click on a folder, open with other application, show other applications, click "home folder." I figured this out because when I installed another file manager it worked fine, so I just had to associate nautilus again.

Still haven't figured out why that new user didn't work though, but that's not a big deal since I only use one user account.

Beans

Angry Re: 12.04 - Can't open anything in Classic "Places" menu

There is a definite BUG, YES BUG. I had this happen with the "Places" menu before where Pictures, Documents, Home, Desktop, Music, Downloads was like dead links, totally useless forever, never fixed. This started before before 10.04, 10.10, 11.04 and now 12.04. IT does not happen with a clean install. But does happen with failed to load side by running versions and upgrades.

Call it what ever YOU like but it's BUG..... so why not a patch for this call it the Places Patch?

I put on Mate easier to use then Unity and way better than the new lousy Ubuntu Classic ............figured that one out myself looks just like the Classic should look but the "Places" drop menu still does not work as aforementioned.

It's what is coined as foo foo aka ******* around
    Last edited by mining3; December 18th, 2012 at 08:13 AM.