Thread: Extracting clips from a DVD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Extracting clips from a DVD

Hello,
    I'd like to extract a few clips from a DVD that I have (no, its not a commercially available one so theres no copyright hassle there), and I was wondering what is the best piece of software to use?
    Avidemux won't allow me to access the DVD, and I don't have enough room on my HDD to use dvdrip to create an avi for later editing. I have used the command "cat /media/MY_DVD > /home/heart/MY_DVD.iso" to create an iso but I'm lost as to what to do with it now - Avidemux can't access it either (I've used Avidemux to extract clips from mpgs downloaded from other websites, so thats why I'm using it as my first "port of call").

Can anyone suggest a method or tool to use?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Tks!

Paul

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Extracting clips from a DVD

If you've got enough room to store an ISO of the DVD, you've got enough room to use DVDrip or HandBrake or something to create and AVI/MP4 of the movie, which (unless you use crazy options while ripping) will be a far smaller file. Do that and then edit it, it'll be the most simple & painless method.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Extracting clips from a DVD

I've just tried dvdrip again and it says, to rip to an mpeg format, it needs 18GB and I only have 14 GB free. The original iso is only 0.5 GB.