Thread: My user Privileges issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

My user Privileges issue

I just installed Madbox Linux which is a Ubuntu 12.04 distro running Openbox as the WM/DE.

For some reason when I install Synaptic using sudo apt-get install synaptic after installing and launching Synaptic presents a message "starting without administrative privileges. Also when I try to access any of the partitions on my HD I get this:

Authentication is required.

What should I do? When I do an ID from the terminal I get this:

uid=1000(randy) gid=1000(randy) groups=1000(randy),4(adm),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(di p),46(plugdev),115(lpadmin),116(sambashare)
    Randy McElligott
    www.mcran.com

For the best in Jazz, In Transition every Sunday from noon-2pm EST www.chuo.fm

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: My user Privileges issue

Open synaptic with command
    Code:
    gksudo synaptic
    or make a launcher with that command (I don't know if that's possible in openbox) and you will get synaptic with admin permissions. This is just the same as it is in ubuntu.

I don't know how you are trying to mount and access your other partitions but that will also need admin permissions. Once again I don't know exactly how to do that in openbox other than with a terminal command, but I'm sure there must be a way.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 12.04-64bit --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release