Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remote access to machine that is behind VPN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Remote access to machine that is behind VPN

The VPN you using which you wanna remain anonymous while using your BT connection. Then the dns service configuration in your router is help you to remote login through SSH or others due to your dynamic ip.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wacky_sung View Post
    The VPN you using which you wanna remain anonymous while using your BT connection. Then the dns service configuration in your router is help you to remote login through SSH or others due to your dynamic ip.
    Yes, but surely if I've set all traffic to go over the VPN, then when I try to remote login, the computer sees the traffic as not originating from the VPN and blocks it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by joshmcc View Post
    Yes, but surely if I've set all traffic to go over the VPN, then when I try to remote login, the computer sees the traffic as not originating from the VPN and blocks it?
    Then this is your firewall issues in which you need to configure it to allow the remote access.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Joshmcc, did you get anywhere with this, I'm trying to attempt a similar scenario, just without a seed box

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daz1uk View Post
    Joshmcc, did you get anywhere with this, I'm trying to attempt a similar scenario, just without a seed box
    Not yet this is really frustrating me! There must be a simple enough way to only route certain processes trough the VPN (i.e. transmission), or bypass the VPN on a per-port basis, such as the port assigned to SSH.

So far the best solution I've found is to run the VPN client on a DD-WRT router and put the seed box behind this router. It would allow easy remote access from any computer using the same router, but wouldn't do anything to solve the problem of remote access when away from home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12