Thread: Compiz switcher problem

Beans

Question Compiz switcher problem

Hi there guys i am running compiz on kubuntu 12.04. I have problem with all switchers i.e Application switcher, Ring switcher, Shift switcher. When i press the combination to activate them my Kubuntu freezes to death and i have to reboot the machine. Anyone know what the problem is?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Compiz switcher problem

I'm just curious as to why you're using compiz over Kwin? Kwin is way more configurable it's stable pretty much has all the effects you could want plus its Native to KDE I'm using an integrated GMA 4500 and Kwin runs flawlessly.
    + Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit +
    Lubuntu 12.04 PPC 32bit G4 | Ubuntu 12.04 PPC 64bit G5

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I just went back to Gnome Classic from Unity (sigh of relief).

I didn't have alt-tab by default so I installed ccmp and had the same issue as you but only for application switcher.

Ring switcher works fine and it's what I chose to use. I still don't know why application switcher has this issue.

However, you don't need to reboot. You can restart X by using the key combination Right-Alt + Print-Screen/SysRq + K

Until you can figure out your issue, this may save you a lot of time in rebooting.

Beans

Smile Re: Compiz switcher problem

Quote Originally Posted by Epodx64 View Post
    I'm just curious as to why you're using compiz over Kwin? Kwin is way more configurable it's stable pretty much has all the effects you could want plus its Native to KDE I'm using an integrated GMA 4500 and Kwin runs flawlessly.
    Hi there KWIN has few effects. and compiz has alot of effects, for example in case of animations compiz is winner and compiz effects are cooler than kwin like cube effect and animations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by amir786_z View Post
    Hi there KWIN has few effects. and compiz has alot of effects, for example in case of animations compiz is winner and compiz effects are cooler than kwin like cube effect and animations.
    Kwin has the desktop cube and animations I have desktop cube enabled right now it also has Blur,Dashboard,Explosions,Fade,Fade Desktop,Fall Apart,Glide,Highlight Windows,Login Fade,Logout desaturate,magic lamp,minimize animation,mouse mark,scale in,screenshot,Slide,Sliding popups,Translucency,Window Geometry,Wobbly Windows,Box Switch,Flip Switch,Desktop cube,Desktop Cube Animation,Desktop Grid,etc....

What does compiz have? wobbly windows?
    + Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit +
    Lubuntu 12.04 PPC 32bit G4 | Ubuntu 12.04 PPC 64bit G5

Beans

Cool Re: Compiz switcher problem

Quote Originally Posted by Epodx64 View Post
    Kwin has the desktop cube and animations I have desktop cube enabled right now it also has Blur,Dashboard,Explosions,Fade,Fade Desktop,Fall Apart,Glide,Highlight Windows,Login Fade,Logout desaturate,magic lamp,minimize animation,mouse mark,scale in,screenshot,Slide,Sliding popups,Translucency,Window Geometry,Wobbly Windows,Box Switch,Flip Switch,Desktop cube,Desktop Cube Animation,Desktop Grid,etc....

What does compiz have? wobbly windows?
    u r kidding right?

Beans

Compiz animations and compiz cube are cooler then kwin..

Beans

Wink Re: Compiz switcher problem

i somehow managed to solve it