Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ISP is Amazing! 1 Gbps upload and download

Beans

Re: ISP is Amazing! 1 Gbps upload and download

£50 is more than I'm prepared to spend on my ISP. I'm on the Virgin 60Mbps service at the moment (double speed due 6 months to a year), which does me fine, and I'm very lucky to be able to get that because I live in a rural village - it's a choice of Virgin or plain old 8Mbps ADSL, or a wireless connection.

To be honest I can't see a service such as Hyperoptic's setting up in my village. It looks to me to be for urban centres only.
    Matthew
    Current Xubuntu machine (old, quite slow, and past its 10th birthday, yet still surprisingly functional): Celeron 633 MHz | 320 MB RAM | Xubuntu 9.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by majabl View Post
    I'm on the Virgin 60Mbps service at the moment...
    I can only dream...

Beans

I had fiber-to-the-router service installed in and to our house just over two weeks ago, and I'm delighted with it!

For speed levels of 30 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload, we're paying $20/month for the first six months; then the price goes to $45/month. The actual speeds are about 10% - 15% better than the rated speeds. The ISP offers speed levels as fast as 110 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up (for $110/month).

This is the first time my wife and I have ever had any service better than fiber to a street box about 800 feet (250 m) away, with copper wire or coaxial cable from there to our house. Now, there's not even a modem involved.

In the past 17 days there hasn't been a single hiccup in the service -- a unique record of reliability in my experience with Internet service to our house. (I feel as though I should knock on wood. <grin>)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Saw a program on TV once where the presenters were comparing internet technology and modern technology both here in the UK and in South Korea. The UK presenter was using Virgin Media and had their top speed at the time (about 50Mbps download , bot only about 10Mbps upload) The South Korean presenter introduced a SK citizen who had the FTTH connection and had 1Gbps download and upload speed. The program went on to compare mobile phone technology. The UK presenter was seen on a London Underground train,,,, No phone connection at all. The South Korean presenter was filmed on the Seoul Underground,,, Full connectivity, even free TV services via wifi to mobile phones as well. South Korea were just so far in front of the UK, it was unbelievable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12