Thread: Wicd in Kubuntu

Beans

Wicd in Kubuntu

Hello to all.

I recently installed Kubuntu 12.04 on my Dell Latitude E6420.

I'm new to KDE and have what many will no doubt think is a newbie question.

I need to connect my laptop in a university setting. The university wants us to use use its "secure" wireless network, one based upon WPA/WPA2 Enteprise and PEAP.

I have connected many Win 7 and Macs to the secure network, but the same configuration does not work on Kubuntu. I suspect PEAP is the culprit.

Wicd seems to offer a wide range of PEAP-related configuration options. I'd like to test it on Kubuntu but I'm so new to KDE that I don't know either how to install it (what's a plasmoid?) or what to remove to ensure the Wicd doesn't conflict with the network managed bundled in the distro. I'd be very grateful for related guidance.

Many thanks,

Harold

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wicd in Kubuntu

Yes, wicd works better and is more reliable than the KDE network manager. And it's better to uninstall the later. I'm not sure how I did it but I remember it took a few tries. Check what is installed with something like this:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude search net | grep manag
    i   network-manager                 - network management framework (daemon and u
    p   network-manager-kde             - transitional package for plasma-widget-net
    i   plasma-widget-networkmanagement - Network Management widget for KDE Plasma w
    And carefully remove what may (!) not be necessary.