Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is this why there are so many bugs?

Beans

Re: Is this why there are so many bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Yes and no.
    Anyone who frequents software forums of any sort will agree that that are hordes of "newbies" convinced they've found a bug. If filing a bug were easy, the triagers, if no one else, would be snowed under.
    I'm not a newbie. I have filed lots of bug reports on various projects from compilers to Web browsers, and a lot of them get fixed. And they made it hard for me.

In order to prevent exactly the problem you mentioned, I always discuss a possible bug in a forum before submitting. If you do that in Launchpad, you will not see the information that they say you need. And even if you look at the Ubuntu Wiki on Apport (which I did), it doesn't give you the information you need.

That's why I posted my own, concise article here. Use it if you wish, or ignore it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    if you don't want to see bugs... stick to LTS, and only upgrade to the next when the one your on in near end of support...
    Actually, the latest LTS version I have doesn't even run right on my test machine. It gives unspecified "system errors". And except for security updates, applications in LTS releases receive no bug fixes.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    I'm not a newbie. ...
    I did not say or imply you are. As happens in threads of this type, people comment and my comment was in response to one by forrestcupp which I quoted.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans

Fair enough. I just meant that I'm not a newbie, but I still found it hard.

Other people disagree, and that's fine. I'm not trying to be disagreeable. Now, thanks to people who contributed to this discussion, we know how to use Apport. Thanks, guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I made up that bit about triagers getting snowed under or mad. I agree that striking a balance (in so many things) isn't simple.

My personal preference is to first ask around in the relevant forum and only then to file a bug if the consensus is that there's really a bug and that it hasn't been reported so far.
    Well, my main point is that I'm willing to help to an extent. But once they start making it hard for me to help, or start criticizing me and making me feel guilty for making it hard on them to have to mess with accepting my help, my willingness starts to wane.

And that point isn't against you, but about how the current system works.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaMozilla View Post
    Actually, the latest LTS version I have doesn't even run right on my test machine. It gives unspecified "system errors". And except for security updates, applications in LTS releases receive no bug fixes.
    12.04 is still a relatively new LTS release, which why which is why I said people who can't handle bugs should still be using 10.04, which by the way... is still getting a lot of updates (I am running it on the netbook here)...... I'll upgrade to 12.04 once 10.04 is end of lifed.... by then any bugs in 12.04 should pretty much be nuked.

If you really need a new version of an application, such as say webm support in vlc or whatnot.... you can always add a ppa for that specific application.

If you don't care about bugs? why not try beta releases.... by that stage they are pretty much solid... but you will come across bugs.. for the OP though.... with the issues your having.... I'd advise never trying beta
    Last edited by Primefalcon; September 9th, 2012 at 09:12 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234