Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this why there are so many bugs?

Beans

Re: Is this why there are so many bugs?

Cariboo, suppose for the moment that I did edit the wiki pages. That might solve one problem, although it may well be a fool's errand. But what about the Launchpad problem? Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

that's because typically.. you don't have to worry about it, most times when a program crashes... you'll get a message asking if you wish to file a bug report....

otherwise filing a bug report is as simple as typing ubuntu-bug <program_name>

if you the ubuntu lense thing and type in help and launch the help program and type in file a bug, you'll see the entry how do I report a problem in Ubuntu. You'll see the whole process of alt+f2 and blah blah right there.... so the documentation exists in Ubuntu itself...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    Ummmm.... go to the linked posted in the OP...... a fix has been released.......

So bug has been fixed..... do a sudo apt-get update.....
    again this whole Thread is mute.... the act that the bug was fixed from the thread shows the OPs whole point is invalid
    This thread is not a help request for Thunderbird. That was just an example of the fact that it's not obvious how to file a report for something that doesn't cause a crash.

that's because typically.. you don't have to worry about it, most times when a program crashes... you'll get a message asking if you wish to file a bug report....

otherwise filing a bug report is as simple as typing ubuntu-bug <program_name>

if you the ubuntu lense thing and type in help and launch the help program and type in file a bug, you'll see the entry how do I report a problem in Ubuntu. You'll see the whole process of alt+f2 and blah blah right there.... so the documentation exists in Ubuntu itself...
    It's not true that typically you only want to file a report when something crashes. I've noticed lots of bugs that don't actually cause the app to crash.

It's great to know about ubuntu-bug, but if you don't know about that command, filing reports is pretty confusing. If they're going to be that strict about doing it this way, they need to put it in the menus and make it obvious.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!

Reporting bugs is something I have done from time to time when prompted... but in general I have no idea if I did it right, and I try and avoid it as it does seem to be more voodoo than I can handle.

I should have a look at those wiki entries I think

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I was not aware of the "ubuntu-bug" command, so thanks for that! ^_^d
    Thinkpad T430, Intel i5-3320M (Ivy), 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 500GB HDD: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As I said however... the documentation is easily found inside of Ubuntu itself.... so it's not like its obscured information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

So it sounds like the documentation in Ubuntu is fine, and the wiki can be improved, but the main problem is that Launchpad lets you file bugs that will be automatically marked invalid without warning you of this fact. Maybe for official Ubuntu packages (I assume other projects hosted on Launchpad use the manual bug-reporting feature) it should redirect you to the directions for running ubuntu-bug.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you subscribe to the bug, you will get email notification if the bug is a duplicate or invalid, you can then post a comment asking what else is needed to help solve the problem.

All the documentation in the world, isn't going to help, if no one reads it.

Beans

OK, thanks for the information on Apport. That solves the immediate problem.

It's easy enough to find if you know exactly where to look and what to look for. I'm not going to waste time fixing anything if the most knowledgeable users think there's no problem. However, here's a concise guide I wrote for myself, using information I compiled from several sources.

My bug-reporting documentation
    ============================
    Almost all bugs in Ubuntu-distributed software should be reported using Apport. Apport gathers extensive information on the local system, and is also capable of gathering information on crashes. Apport and various supporting packages are installed by default on Ubuntu systems. Launchpad allows reporting bugs without using Apport, but this is discouraged.

Run Apport from a terminal, as follows. The 'ubuntu-bug' command has an alternate form, 'apport-bug'.

To report information on a program
    ubuntu-bug -w
    and click on the window. This will gather information on that program.

To report on a specific package name
    ubuntu-bug <package-name>

To collect crash information
    Start Apport (once) and then run the program that crashes.
    sudo service apport start force_start=1

To report crash information
    ??

To report non-specific problems
    ubuntu-bug
    This will present a form with different types of problems.

To report non-specific problems
    ubuntu-bug linux

More information
    More information on ubuntu-bug can be found in the following places. None of these sources has complete documentation.

1. The Ubuntu Help utility. Search for 'file a bug'.
    2. The man page has partial information. man ubuntu-bug
    3. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport
    4. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
    5. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MozillaTeam/Bugs

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

As I said however... the documentation is easily found inside of Ubuntu itself.... so it's not like its obscured information
    Maybe, but if they actually want people to help with bug reports, they need to make it obvious instead of tucking instructions for some unknown command away in their documentation. I would think that would be something important enough to put in the menus. The way things are now, it almost seems like they're being put out by doing us the favor of accepting our bug reports, when it's really that we are trying to help them out.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast