Page 189 of 206 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 2053

Thread: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

Beans

Re: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Call_M View Post
    Maybe I was a bit to optimistic..

Sound works in most cases but with some games it fails to work. It works for instance for OpenArena, Alien Arena and Warzone 2100 but not for the games Nexuiz and Sauerbraten. I already tried alsa-oss for the games. And that works only for OpenArena.

Please help!

Thank you!
    Here an update. I solved the problem by installing the following package:
    Code:
    libsdl1.2debian-all
    I installed it with synaptic package manager.

All sound now works with all games.

Beans

ok this all looks promiseing. and i had sound before i just gotta reintall all it back to default?

but i didnt see a section where i could control what each of my 6 outputs on my onboard sound card. like make 2 of them front. one mic. one head phone. one rear/sub and one center. is this even possible yet with ubuntu?

Beans

Hi All,

Let me first start off by saying that I'm a total newbie to Linux/Ubuntu...so all of those long and cryptic terminal-entered commands that I see being thrown around just scare the be-jiggers out of me.

That being said, my Ubuntu skills are limited to inserting the installation CD and replying to the prompts appropriately. With those basic skills I've installed ubuntu quite a few times (and everything *looked* okay, until I tried version 10.10...wherein the screen resolution wouldn't budge from a huge and ugly 800x600 or something like that, for my 20" Viewsonic monitor which can easily do 1600x1200 in Windows). But that's not my real issue.

My main issue is that I'm now trying to use a space PC (in the basement) to connect up to my power amp and stereo speakers, and play music that is streamed from my main computer on the 2nd floor. Guess what? The sound issues that a lot of people are talking about rears its ugly head.

Yes, I've tried versions 10.10, 10.04, 9,10 and now 8.04 and all of them have the exact same problem i.e. very, very low volume. I have to turn the volume knob on my pre-amp way beyond the halfway mark before I can even hear the slightest bit of sound. With my Windows PC (at that volume level) the glass panes would have shattered.

Now, for some weird (and unknown) reason, this spare PC cannot be used to install (or even just boot up Windows)...but I'm able to easily install all versions of Ubuntu on it....and so that's the reason why I'm left having to try getting the sound issues sorted out in Ubuntu.

I would appreciate any and all help in this regard.

I have already searched (and tried) a number of solutions (removing PulseAudio) and using just ALSA etc....but nothing seems to work.

Now, I was reading (on one or more posts) that the issue could be due to multiple sound cards in the system...but I only seem to have the one on-board card (and no additional) PCI sound card installed. However, the output of "aplay -l" seems to show what looks like 2 cards, unless I'm understanding things correctly.

My mother board is an Asus P5PE-VM.

Here is what the "aplay -l" outputs:

Thanks for any and all help.

CeeGee

Beans

Hi! I just wanted to post a quick thank you for making this guide. I'm still a newbie when it comes to Ubuntu (let alone Linux at large), and within the past couple of days the sound suddenly stopped working on my PC.

I tried fixing it, but only seemed to make the problem worse. When I went to Sound Preferences > Hardware, and tried to change the settings for the sound card, the whole thing disappeared. I was left with no sound and no driver to try to adjust (under that particular menu).

But! Thanks to your guide, I was able to determine how to restore my sound (I brought up ALSA Mixer from the terminal and turned all of the channels back up). So, you have my gratitude!

EDIT: ...Okay. Nevermind. It stopped working again. It seems that whenever I close AlsaMixer the selected sound card reverts from "HDA VIA VT82xx" to (default), though now I am uncertain as to whether this affects it or not.

EDIT Redux: Well, it seems to be a bit more stable now that I've restarted the system. Thanks again for your help!
    Last edited by SquirrelyDirge; April 3rd, 2011 at 01:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry Re: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

My Mother Board is Inter DG31PR
    I need the 5.1 audio settings for ubuntu 10.10 maverick meerket

Beans

Hi,
    This is kinda awkward...
    The two lines:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
    sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils

as suggested in the article above seem to work fine for my laptop (Lenovo T61p running on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bit)... until I reboot. Then it is entirely mute until I repeat the above procedure.

Answers to foreseeable questions:
    $ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Beans

[QUOTE=swaprava;10066677]
    Quote Originally Posted by santhosh t View Post

Get the sound card driver by googling and reinstall it. You'll know what sound card you have from your machine's specs.
    MY SOUNDCARD IS REALTEK ALC-888, NOT WORKING WITH UBUNTU 10.10 AND ALSO NOT WORKING MP3, MPG, MP4, FLV FILES

Beans

Hi guys

My laptop speakers cut out after a few seconds of sound - sometimes during the startup sound, sometimes about 30 seconds later. Can't figure this one out at all... (headphones continue to work fine)

I'm on a Toshiba NB255 netbook running 10.10

PCI (sysfs)
    *-multimedia
    description: Audio device
    product: N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 1b
    bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
    version: 02
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0
    resources: irq:46 memory:f0300000-f0303fff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Useless Forums...!
    No one can solve 5.1 audio for ubuntu this is really weird...
    ****-it-up ****-it-up **** off ubuntu-linux...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, I've read through the first page of the topic and done the steps.
    Here's where I get a problem, after successfully finding my alsa driver with the modprobe snd- ... when I try to add the name in the file /ect/modules, it simply creates a new empty file, and so I'm at a loss.

I recently installed an update, which seems to be the cause of my no longer having any sound.

(For info, my sound card is a Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy SE)

Page 189 of 206 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199 ... LastLast