Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 on 1.86GHz Pentium M 1GB ram

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 on 1.86GHz Pentium M 1GB ram

Dear all,
    I am trying to give new life to my old laptop. here are the specs.

ProcessorPentium M 750 / 1.86 GHz
    Memory: 1.0 GB DDR2 533Mhz
    Hard Drive- 5400.0 rpm (0GB
    Graphics Processor: ATI Mobility Radeon X600 HyperMemory w/64MB VRAM.

Can it run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS smoothly? What if I upgrade to 2GB ram?
    Or is it better that I install Xubuntu 12.04?

Thanks very much for your help. I imagine you must get bored of answering questions like this from all the beginners like me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 on 1.86GHz Pentium M 1GB ram

Unity probably won't run well under those specs I suggest Xubuntu or Lubuntu
    + Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64bit +
    Lubuntu 12.04 PPC 32bit G4 | Ubuntu 12.04 PPC 64bit G5

Beans
    Hidden!

your computer should run ubuntu 12.04, that is what i have done to breathe life into an
    older laptop.
    An upgrade to 2gb ram is not a bad idea.
    Are you already running an other operating system on this machine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Unity can be a little slugish on my Netbook which is a 1.6 Ghz Intel Atom with 1 gb of ram. It's usable, but a little sluggish. Gnome Classic with no effects is okay, Xubuntu runs good, Lubuntu runs suburb. I think the cpu is the limiting factor, particularly in my case as I have my users home encrypted.

I deal with the slight sluggishness of Unity, I like it and I don't want to spend time tweaking another DE to my liking.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    Unity can be a little slugish on my Netbook which is a 1.6 Ghz Intel Atom with 1 gb of ram. It's usable, but a little sluggish. Gnome Classic with no effects is okay, Xubuntu runs good, Lubuntu runs suburb. I think the cpu is the limiting factor, particularly in my case as I have my users home encrypted.

I deal with the slight sluggishness of Unity, I like it and I don't want to spend time tweaking another DE to my liking.
    in the case of unity 3d it is the GPU
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

I am running Window SP pro service pack 3 on it. I would still keep some partition for XP as I have some software/hardware that I am not sure I can set up with linux (e.g. program to set up/manage my high speed internet with my provider here in switzerland)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    in the case of unity 3d it is the GPU
    I just fired it up to take a look, it's actually much snappier than I realized, the trouble comes when I'm loading heavily scripted sites in firefox, the cpu peggs out at 100%. It's not doing any heavy swapping or anything, so that leads me to believe it's the cpu. Maybe I should try seamonky or some other lighter browser.

I'd say Unity was on par with Windows 7 starter edition, Ubuntu having faster startup and shutdown times.

At any rate, I think the op's computer can handle it.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My Pentiun M 1.5G will not run the 12.04 install as it doesn't support the PAE kernel.Try a Live CD or USB to see if it will handle the PAE kernel.

Xubuntu 12.04 doesn't use the PAE kernel.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Gabcat View Post
    Graphics Processor: ATI Mobility Radeon X600 HyperMemory w/64MB VRAM.
    this ^^ could (or not) also be a problem. some mobility radeon are not supported as well as i windows, because AMD dropped support for these cards (remember that windows XP kernel is from 2001, while Ubuntu from 2011). and things run sliggish. best thing would be to use a liveCD or liveUSB and boot from it to see how well it works.

there are 2 unity interfaces one is 2D (3D is default and needs good hardware acceleration from GPU and drivers). another option is Gnome fallback. if it doens't work or works too slow there is also Xubuntu and Lubuntu (as menitoned these two also don't use PAE kernel=> CPU must support it). both of these two are descent desktops. Xubutnu is a bit more mature and IMO easier for newbies to setup.

also the programme you use for managing your high speed internet on windows is likely just bloatware. i could be wrong though...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I've got twice the RAM/Processor in my laptop and Unity ran painfully slow and choppy. Switched to Xubuntu when Unity became the default and haven't looked back.
    My very own riot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast