View Poll Results: What Will You Do for 12.10?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clean install

31 32.29%
  • Upgrade

31 32.29%
  • Nothing/keep your current version.

34 35.42%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 12.10-What Will You Do?

Beans

Re: 12.10-What Will You Do?

I'll upgrade. I figure that, if for some reason the upgrade goes wrong, I can always to a clean install over it, but if I start out with a clean install, there's really no way I can revert it if I change my mind afterwards.

Beans

I've been using Ubuntu since Breezy Badger. I'll probably just update because it's easier and I'm lazy. After using Ubuntu for 6 years the novelty of installing "The New Version" has worn off. I don't want to do more work than I have to. I'll only do a clean install if things don't work properly after the upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Nothing for now.

I still use Ubuntu 10.04, and in the past have always done new installs with my dedicated home partition brought forward. Next will be Xubuntu 12.04, from a fresh install and syncing my data back from a backup.

I think I will stay with LTS releases with backports and PPA's on my primary OS from now on, and share a new /data partition for hoots, with other installs.
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity:"Knowing what one should do and doing differently"

Beans
    Hidden!

Switch distro

Seriously though, I always just do a clean install to avoid having any issues. It's not that much of a hassle, and definitely worth it if you really want an upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Even though I did a successful upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10, when 12.04 reached RC, I did a clean install. For 12.10, I'm likely to move to Xubuntu. My laptop isn't getting any younger .
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans

It will be installed on one of my test machines, it will be a clean install
    This account is not active.

Beans

nothin
    AMD 64 3000+, 2G RAM, ASUS K8N , XFX GS7800, Linux Mint 9 , WinXP(dual boot/seperate HD)

Stalker's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving how much the United States sucks approaches one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

On my laptop, probably an upgrade. My server has been upgraded already. I have another computer that I'm going ot put Quantal on, but I am unsure how yet. I haven't touched it for over a year, so it will depend on the state I left it in.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Of course, I'm very likely going to do a fresh install about a month after its release. But, I'll also keep 12.04 around for a while since it is an LTS. It does suck that these releases happen in the middle of college semesters, especially if classes are really heavy.

But, yup. I do intend to upgrade on the desktop about a month after the stable release, with a clean install as I always do. That does mean I have to back up my firefox bookmarks, my icon sets, everything that's in my Ubuntu home folder and not my second hard drive, stuff like that. But, clean install is always the best.
    Don't like Unity? Hate it? Not your cup of coffee? Ubuntu does provide choices. There's GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE, and now MATE and Cinnamon. Take your pick

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

When running multiple installations it's often difficult to vote.

• I'm already running a development version of Kubuntu 12.10 on my desktop.
    • On my laptop both Ubuntu and Kubuntu 12.04 will probably stay.
    • On my netbook, I will most certainly upgrade Lubuntu to 12.10 as there are some great looking improvements on the way.

However, as these threads seem to focus on Ubuntu, rather than one of the derivatives, I'll vote for keeping the current version.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast