Thread: Openbox - Ubuntu Server - XBMC and Skype - managing application focus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Openbox - Ubuntu Server - XBMC and Skype - managing application focus

Hi all,

Hopefully a quick question with regards to focus when running XBMC on Ubuntu Server with openbox.

My HTPC now boots, auto-login, openbox starts, and 2 applications (Skype and XBMC) start on separate desktops. I give XBMC focus, but both apps are running. The intention is to be able, when in XBMC, to flick between the desktops with Alt-Tab... I may add a web browser at some point.

It may be an XBMC application question really, but the issue then is that once XBMC has focus, I cannot seem to send a command to openbox in order to switch between the desktops. Does anyone know what I need to do to release focus, or send a command to openbox when XBMC is running?

TIA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Openbox - Ubuntu Server - XBMC and Skype - managing application focus

Solved. Backslash was what I needed. A problem with the dinovo mini, as it isn't shown on the key pad (Fn+T).

As an aside, I changed the layout so both apps are on the same desktop, as this requires fewer key presses to switch between the 2...

Beans

Re: Openbox - Ubuntu Server - XBMC and Skype - managing application focus

Hello, could you please give a brief idea on how you setup xbmc and skype running side by side. I want to setup an XBMC HTPC machine, but want have skype video calling as well at the same time.

Any help is much appreciated Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the.ciscokid View Post
    Hi all,

Hopefully a quick question with regards to focus when running XBMC on Ubuntu Server with openbox.

My HTPC now boots, auto-login, openbox starts, and 2 applications (Skype and XBMC) start on separate desktops. I give XBMC focus, but both apps are running. The intention is to be able, when in XBMC, to flick between the desktops with Alt-Tab... I may add a web browser at some point.

It may be an XBMC application question really, but the issue then is that once XBMC has focus, I cannot seem to send a command to openbox in order to switch between the desktops. Does anyone know what I need to do to release focus, or send a command to openbox when XBMC is running?

TIA.