Thread: Cinnamon in a Corporate Enterprise environment?

Beans

Question Cinnamon in a Corporate Enterprise environment?

Hiya! I'm a little curious based on how well Cinnamon works in a home environment if it would also work well in a corporate environment, I mean although it's based on GNOME 3, it provides a GNOME 2-like desktop that's incredibly easy to use and just gorgeous all around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Cinnamon in a Corporate Enterprise environment?

What is your experience with Cinnamon in corporate environment? I'm also very interested regarding this. Please share your experience with us.

Beans

I messed with Cinnamon a little bit in Quantal, and really liked it, as far as usability goes, it would be perfect in a corporate environment as far as I'm concerned Unity would be good too, but Cinnamon would work a bit better as corporate environments are geared more towards a Windows-style interface.

Beans

Won't work if IT isn't linux and all are MS certifiable

From a users perspective in Corporate environment many have their hands tied by proprietary software and formats. If it isn't tied into MS Office and their formats for xcel,powerpoint,docs then it's Internet explorer using active-x components for unique in browser specific functions.

And then there are many specific Investment,Financing,Forecasting software that linux lacks in equivalents.

And from extensive testing LibreOffice or Open Office doesn't give high enough compatibility for seamless across businesses. From documents to excel spreedsheets to powerpoint presentations there are enough differences in created projects in linux apps that fail when opened on microsoft apps to display in proper formatting and other issues. Not all the time. But enough to cause problems and sour corporate on investing time and monies into delving into linux for enterprises.

For communications across departments and other business partners that are not Linux enterprises. They have to achieve 100% seamless if linux has a chance to impact Corporations.

I love my Mint 14 Cinnamon on my personal system. But only see workarounds and struggling for small business even trying to communicate documents and proposals and correspondence opened on their partners computers and being mangled to give that unprofessional impression. It only has to happen once to loss a client.

Would like to see it. But don't think I will in coming decade.

Beans

Orb makes a lot of good points.
    I am the defacto IT guy in a small family business (retail) and figuring out how to use linux in our biz environment is exactly why I am here.
    As far as using cinnamon, I like it better than the other desktops Ive tried such as KDE, XFCE, and even Unity.
    It would all depend upon how the User needs to interact with the system... and the specific needs of your business.
    For example, I have one computer location that is accessible to multiple employees and is used as mainly a timeclock and for google maps. This is the first computer I plan to test with a Linux box.

Personally I love the look and style of Unity... I just cant work without a start menu (Win8 anyone?).