Thread: Thunderbird + Lightning + Exchange provider

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thunderbird + Lightning + Exchange provider

The latest release of Thunderbird, 15, which rolled out last week made the excellent add-on "Exchange 2007/2010 Calendar and Tasks Provider" unusable due to some internal changes in Thunderbird.

The add-on is an one man's project but it is really a key component if you are working in a enterprise environment with mail and calendar services provided by Exchange. AFAIK there is no other tools that allows me to work not only with my own, but also shared calendars on Exchange 2007. Evolution is too buggy and DavMail only gives me my own calendar.

The solution, for the moment, if you need your calendar back, is to rely on the mozilla-stable ppa and stick to version 14, as outlined in this post on mozillazine.

Also I read some discouraging comments around the future of Thunderbird, what if Mozilla stops development on it? A full-featuered mail and calendar client is a must for the Enterprise Desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Thunderbird + Lightning + Exchange provider

Some encouraging work has been done on the project and a release candidate of version 3.0.0 which is working with TB 15 is out now!

It can be manually installed from http://www.1st-setup.nl/wordpress/?page_id=133.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Thunderbird + Lightning + Exchange provider

The Release Candidate made it into release 3.1.3 (released 25th of October 2012 already).

It has proven to be working just fine.