Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: N55 Tempurature Question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    18

    N55 Tempurature Question

    So, I've been running Ubuntu 12.04 since a couple of months before the official release. Everything seemed as right as it should without any official NVIDIA drivers. Recently I've been getting an error message upon booting every time, and it seems to be running quite warm, around 59-60 Celsius while running basic programs like Firefox or Libre Writer according to PSensor. Is this too hot? It seems like it would be considering what I'm running.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: N55 Tempurature Question

    I was running much hotter than that ~70°c, then I switched to unity2d and installed jupiter. Now I typically run less than 50°c during normal use, I still get up to around 70 when playing nexuiz (used to be over 90). I would suggest logging into 2d mode and seeing if that makes a difference for you.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    18

    Re: N55 Tempurature Question

    Jupiter eh? I'll have to look into that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Beans
    15

    Re: N55 Tempurature Question

    Quote Originally Posted by monk0nuggets View Post
    Recently I've been getting an error message upon booting every time, and it seems to be running quite warm, around 59-60 Celsius while running basic programs like Firefox or Libre Writer according to PSensor. Is this too hot? It seems like it would be considering what I'm running.
    By default, Psensor is raising an alert when the temperature is greater than 60C but that's only a default and does not take care of the sensor type. 60C is not hot for most of the CPUs and GPUs but it can be hot for a HDD. You should take a look at your the specification of your HW to determine the 'too hot' temperature and set it in the Psensor configuration of the sensors.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Beans
    44

    Re: N55 Tempurature Question

    how do you monitor the temperature on ubuntu? i am on an ausuX54C laptop with ubuntu 12.04

    any app available?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Beans
    15

    Re: N55 Tempurature Question

    Quote Originally Posted by illegal View Post
    how do you monitor the temperature on ubuntu? i am on an ausuX54C laptop with ubuntu 12.04

    any app available?
    There are multiple UI applications for monitoring temperature, xsensors and psensor are in the standard ubuntu repository, so you can install them easily from the software center.

    There is also indicator-sensors from Alex Murray that you can install from a PPA, see https://launchpad.net/~alexmurray/+a...icator-sensors.

    Note, that these UI applications are requiring to first install lm-sensors and configure it correctly:
    sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
    Then, starts the detection of your hardware sensors:
    sudo sensors-detect
    Follow the instructions carefully, and finally verify that it works:
    sensors
    It should display something like:
    coretemp-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 0: +46.0C (high = +76.0C, crit = +100.0C)
    coretemp-isa-0001
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 1: +44.0C (high = +76.0C, crit = +100.0C) ...
    If you follow these steps all UI applications should work correctly, at least if your HW is supported by lm-sensors.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Beans
    44

    Re: N55 Tempurature Question

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanfi View Post
    There are multiple UI applications for monitoring temperature, xsensors and psensor are in the standard ubuntu repository, so you can install them easily from the software center.

    There is also indicator-sensors from Alex Murray that you can install from a PPA, see https://launchpad.net/~alexmurray/+a...icator-sensors.

    Note, that these UI applications are requiring to first install lm-sensors and configure it correctly:
    Then, starts the detection of your hardware sensors:
    Follow the instructions carefully, and finally verify that it works:
    It should display something like:
    If you follow these steps all UI applications should work correctly, at least if your HW is supported by lm-sensors.
    Thanks man!
    I did exactly as per your instruction, and got the following output after giving the 'sensors' command.
    ~$ sensors
    acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1: +50.0°C (crit = +88.0°C)

    asus-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    temp1: +50.0°C
    Is the system temperature OK, normal or abnormal?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •