Thread: Deleted my .Private dir.. I have recovered the .eCryptfs files... how do I open them?

Beans

Question Deleted my .Private dir.. I have recovered the .eCryptfs files... how do I open them?

Greetings,

I am running Ubuntu 11.10 i386 and was using the gnome shell before I deleted my .Private directory (intentionally because I thought all those encrypted files were some kind of malware because I had a corrupted file, so I gave it the good ol.. rm -R * from the command prompt even). I believe I even hit it one more time to get the stragglers. Then all of my documents and files were also obviously gone.

I recovered them using a live disc and PhotoRec and now I have about 45k .eCryptfs files on my target detachable HD that I need to open and sort through, only I don't know how to access them.

**Is there a way I can recover the old file structure so that everything goes back into its original place?**

Can I boot up normally, create a new .Private directory and toss them in there and have them miraculously show up on my desktop? Can I decrypt them on my target drive and sort them that way? Any advice (along with rather detailed instructions) would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

J (the overzealous deleterious one)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Deleted my .Private dir.. I have recovered the .eCryptfs files... how do I open t

Closed, duplicate here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2053569

Please start only one thread for each question, issue or problem.