Thread: Download managers and resuming downloads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Download managers and resuming downloads

I have tried so many download managers it ain't funny, but there's one thing they all don't seem to know how to do well, and that's resume problematic downloads.

I have used both fast and slow Internet connections on 3 continents (currently I'm on a slow and intermittent one as I live in Burma) so speed doesn't seem to be what causes the problem. And I download from many, many different sites, so it's not site specific either.

The problem is as follows. I'm downloading a file from a server that supports resuming downloads but something goes wrong with the download and the download manager reports an error, like "size mismatch", or "timeout error".

What I really, really want to know, is why can't these managers resume downloads that experience these errors? Why can't they set markers during the download process (say every 5MB) so that if a problem like a size mismatch, a connection dropout, or a timeout occurs, then it can backtrack only slightly and then resume? I download a couple of shows from revision3 each week and more often than I care to remember they've failed at around 70% of a 300MB+ download and merrily just start downloading all over again. Another frustrating thing is they ditch the file that didn't finish, so I can't even watch the part of the show I had.

I live with it, though it's very frustrating, but I wonder why these download managers aren't more intelligent.

Please help me understand, or better still, help me to solve the problem.
    Hp Pavillion dv6-2119tx » Intel Core i7-720QM (1.60GHz) | 4GB RAM 1333 MHz | 640GB HDD (5400rpm) |
    nVIDIA GeForce GT 230M | Dual boot: PinguyOS 10.10 64bit ♡ / Windows 7 Home Premium
    Biggest Ubuntu Frustration » Decent download manager

Beans
    Distro

Re: Download managers and resuming downloads

After having to re-download about another 2gb since my last post I thought I'd give this a bump hoping someone can shed some light on the topic.
    Hp Pavillion dv6-2119tx » Intel Core i7-720QM (1.60GHz) | 4GB RAM 1333 MHz | 640GB HDD (5400rpm) |
    nVIDIA GeForce GT 230M | Dual boot: PinguyOS 10.10 64bit ♡ / Windows 7 Home Premium

Beans
    Hidden!

i think u can try gwget. i have tried and worked well. it resumes downloads also.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ubun2warrior View Post
    i think u can try gwget. i have tried and worked well. it resumes downloads also.
    Thx for your reply ubun2warrior, but my issue isn't finding a download manager that can resume, it's finding one that can resume under certain circumstances. Have another read of this topic and the one it links to and you'll get the full picture.

Beans
    Distro

Just thought I'd update my own thread to say that I'm still in the same boat as when I originally posted.

I'm still after the "why", and especially still looking for a solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by malleeblue View Post
    Just thought I'd update my own thread to say that I'm still in the same boat as when I originally posted.

I'm still after the "why", and especially still looking for a solution.

download and the download manager reports an error, like "size mismatch", or "timeout error".
    the Down Them All extension for Firefox. It might do what you want.
    I've had these issues and chose to start a new download later. I noticed that the first download was still in the list and had begun again from where it stopped, so canceled the second.

Whether it stopped for the 'size mismatch' as your did, I don't know. I believe it was something to do with dropped packages though. All I can do is recommend to try. It works better than any "torrent I've tried. (for me)
    Last edited by critin; September 9th, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    the Down Them All extension for Firefox. It does what you want.
    Thanks for trying critin, but in my OP I linked to another post of mine that say, "It mustn't be browser dependent (like DownThemAll) as I like to restart my browser without affecting my download manager or having to revisit it to restart downloads."

In addition, DownThemAll doesn't do what I want. In fact, it was DTA that got me posting this thread in the first place. It was constantly giving the errors mentioned and restarting downloads from the beginning.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by malleeblue View Post
    Thanks for trying critin, but in my OP I linked to another post of mine that say, "It mustn't be browser dependent (like DownThemAll) .

NB: May I request that if you're going to suggest a solution that it at least meets my "what I'm after" list above, thank you.
    In the linked post, I admit I only read the list of DM you'd tried, I didn't read the entire post since it was very old and lengthy. I should have, I would have seen this line and passed on it.

I did read this entire post though, with this question, which is different from the linked.

Download managers and resuming downloads
    I have tried so many download managers it ain't funny, but there's one thing they all don't seem to know how to do well, and that's resume problematic downloads.
    Looks like there is no DM that will meet all your needs--sorry.
    Last edited by critin; September 9th, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

Unfortunately, no download manager for linux comes close to idm or mass downloader. Its a shame, really.

I use uget and I think this is the best downloader for linux with gui.