Thread: About the upgrades and bugs on between

Beans

Thumbs down About the upgrades and bugs on between

Hi every one, Greetings from Mexico; i recently get Ubuntu on my netbook, an acer aspire AOD257, i did some little research about the "best" OS for such a small prepossessing capabilities, i got info on meego, Ubuntu remix, and some others. i make up my mind and decide that the windows killer will be Ubuntu remix , so i installed the 10.10 version, i try it, and got the upgrade message to get the 11.04 version, so i did. This work pretty decent (and a lot better than the factory original OS), i download some apps, i am a music fan, and realize that there was no sound for some apps like tux guitar, i didn't worry, i know that is part of my learning process with this new OS and environment. then i start to personalize my system and i was really happy with all the fabulous stuff in it; but i received the notification for a new upgrade the infamous 11.10 version, i set it on my system and after the installation realize that i had lost my personal stuff, no more screen saver, there bugs on the system settings app, so i download some apps hoping fix this; but now i have more bugs, the Ubuntu software center just shows a white screen when i click on it, and my screen has gone dark even when i have the full bright setting, so i'm wondering if is a good idea to upgrade to the 12.04 version? will this errors get resolved if a do so? Help guys.
    Last edited by Axon Rivera; September 6th, 2012 at 01:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: About the upgrades and bugs on between

If an upgrade has left your system in a less than pristine state, I'd refuse the upgrade. Back up your data and do a fresh install of 12.04. By that I mean download the 12.04 image, put it on a USB stick, boot from it and install it over the top of everything that's on your netbook.

When you get it installed, make sure you're using the Unity 2D desktop environment (click on the cog next to your name on the login screen).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Continual upgrading over old versions isn't generally recommended. One upgrade maybe, but more? Not a good idea. Go for clean installs then if there is a problem, you can pinpoint it better.

If you're not sure which one you'd like, check out the video reviews on you tube. The reviews from actual talking reviewers, not those who are only showing off their desktops and music.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

Thank you all, i didn't realize of this info and will follow your advice...
    Ubuntu ROCKS!!