Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Alternatives to Google?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm using start page now, thanks to this thread, added it to Firefox with a couple of clicks.

I was turned off Google because I am outside the UK and Google will not allow me to use an English language Google to search - it forces me to use Google.it in Italy and Google.de in Germany.

It also removed the "exclude this website feature". I would switch to a search engine that put it back in a second.

Both these choices are obviously driven by advertising and copyright/patent protection.

Copyright is becoming a very bad thing, stifling creativity, and I don't want Google chopping the Internet up into geographic chunks so copyright holders, and their children and grandchildren can get paid. Basmati rice anyone.
    My site - for my role-playing games, spaceships and stuff like that.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by spaceshipguy View Post
    I'm using start page now, thanks to this thread, added it to Firefox with a couple of clicks.

I was turned off Google because I am outside the UK and Google will not allow me to use an English language Google to search - it forces me to use Google.it in Italy and Google.de in Germany.

It also removed the "exclude this website feature". I would switch to a search engine that put it back in a second.

Both these choices are obviously driven by advertising and copyright/patent protection.

Copyright is becoming a very bad thing, stifling creativity, and I don't want Google chopping the Internet up into geographic chunks so copyright holders, and their children and grandchildren can get paid. Basmati rice anyone.
    google and startpage still have the exclude website feature, it is just not in the interface anymore. My explanation is less that this is because of copyright/advertising and more that the tech guys as a whole became all adicted to drugs and started to believe the story that less features is better for users.

Either way...

Just type something like:
    ubuntu forums -site:ubuntuforums.org

Also, google forces a special country domain on people, but at least in my case, I have access to preference to set search interface in English and also results in English even though my google is .bo.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

DuckDuckGo is my favourite.

Beans

YaCy is a really cool project.

"Web Search by the people, for the people
    YaCy is a free search engine that anyone can use to build a search portal for their intranet or to help search the public internet. When contributing to the world-wide peer network, the scale of YaCy is limited only by the number of users in the world and can index billions of web pages. It is fully decentralized, all users of the search engine network are equal, the network does not store user search requests and it is not possible for anyone to censor the content of the shared index. We want to achieve freedom of information through a free, distributed web search which is powered by the world's users.

Decentralization
    Imagine if, rather than relying on the proprietary software of a large professional search engine operator, your search engine was run by many private computers which aren't under the control of any one company or individual. Well, that's what YaCy does! The resulting decentralized web search currently has about 1.4 billion documents in its index (and growing - download and install YaCy to help out!) and more than 600 peer operators contribute each month. About 130,000 search queries are performed with this network each day."

-http://yacy.net/en/
    Last edited by cyberhood; September 10th, 2012 at 06:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhood View Post
    YaCy is a really cool project.
    I downloaded it, unpacked it, changed the permissions on the startYACY.bat file to executable (I'm assuming this is the ‘start script’ they mean in the instructions, they aren't specific about it). Ran it - nothing seemed to happen - pasted http://localhost:8090 into my web browser and was told, unable to connect.

I think they need to work on explaining this sort of operation to non-techie creative types like me. I'm tempted by the debian package, but I don't want it to mess up my system.

In principle sounds good though.
    My site - for my role-playing games, spaceships and stuff like that.

Beans

Why no love for Google, they have Gooubuntu? They love us!

Beans
    Distro

They don't love us that much. No google drive client. No easy syncing to Android.
    Xye incredibly difficult puzzle game with minimal graphics. Also at playdeb
    Got a blog: Will Stay Free

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vexorian View Post
    They don't love us that much. No google drive client. No easy syncing to Android.

Is that a timing issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast