Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bash challenge: script to remove duplicate files

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Bash challenge: script to remove duplicate files

I used the excellent tool fdupes to find duplicate photos and wrote its output to a file:

Code:
    fdupes -r /home/statia/Pictures > ~/duplicates.txt
    Lines in this file look like this:

Code:
    /home/statia/Pictures/Nevis 2009/img_1789.jpg
    /home/statia/Pictures/Unsorted/Canon A520 372.jpg

/home/statia/Pictures/Nevis 2009/img_1853.jpg
    /home/statia/Pictures/Unsorted/Canon A520 374.jpg
    I have about 550 duplicates, but my girlfriend more than 10.000, so I'd like to automate the task of removing the duplicates, with a smart script.
    The script should take duplicates.txt as input and remove one of each duplicate.
    Files can be removed from directories with names like "Unsorted", "backup" and "recovered". Probably easiest to set those names in an variable like $REMOVE_DIR.
    Duplicate pairs not in one of those directories can be left untouched for manual removal.
    Unfortunately, I am not that great with bash, could anyone give me a hand?

Beans
    Distro

Re: Bash challenge: script to remove duplicate files

Something like this:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Use a text file with lines of duplicate files to remove one of the duplicates,
    # based on the directory the file is in.
    # If there is no matching directory, leave duplicate set untouched

$INPUT=~/duplicates.txt
    $RM_DIR=~/Pictures/Unsorted
    $RM_DIR=~/Pictures/recovered

for i in $INPUT, do
    But of course, the real magic still has to be put in

Beans

All right, I have made one script that makes what i think you want.

I haven't tested it properly so you should make some tests before actually using it.

And another advice: If you have a picture duplicated, in a folder */Unsorted/* and in a folder */backup/*, this script will remove both pictures, cause it doesn't check anything.

Actually this script doesn't remove anything, instead it creates another script so you can check that everything is ok before procced. This second script won't remove anything either, it will move the duplicated files in a path were you can have them easly removed or recovered.

Before removing your files remember to check that they are the files you really want to remove.

Here is the script:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Use a text file with lines of duplicate files to remove one of the duplicates,
    # based on the directory the file is in.
    # If there is no matching directory, leave duplicate set untouched
    INPUT=duplicates.txt
    DIR_BASE="Duplicated_Pictures"
    RM_DIR="/Unsorted/|/backup/|/recovered/"
    TMP_SCRIPT=remove_dup.tmp.sh
    if ! test -f $INPUT ; then 
            echo ERROR!: $INPUT does not exist
            exit;
    fi

cat duplicates.txt |gawk -v DIR_BASE="$DIR_BASE" -v RM_DIR="$RM_DIR" \
    '
    { 
            if ( match ($0, RM_DIR ) ) {
                    DIRECTORIO=$0;
                    sub(/[^\/]*$/,"", DIRECTORIO );
                    printf ("mkdir -p \"%s%s\" 2>/dev/null;\n", DIR_BASE, DIRECTORIO )
                    printf ("mv \"%s\" \"%s%s\" \n",$0, DIR_BASE, $0); 
            } 
    } ' > $TMP_SCRIPT              
    chmod +x  $TMP_SCRIPT
    Last edited by dozdozez; September 5th, 2012 at 05:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i see few minor problems:

avoid all caps names, otherwise you risk overriding some env var - they are allcaps by convention (yes, i have seen someone overwrite PATH and wonder why nothing works in a script)

Code:
    cat file | gawk ... '...'
    why?
    Code:
    gawk ... '...' file
    Code:
    gawk -v DIR_BASE=$DIR_BASE -v RM_DIR=$RM_DIR
    changing dir_base or rm_dir to any string containing spaces will blow the script up. Always quote variables.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans

You are right Vaphell

Thanks for advice. I have edited my last post and fixed the quotes issue.

There is no reason for writing cat before awk. I did it just cause i'm used to use awk with the output of other commands...

I will avoid caps names from now on.

Beans

maybe I'm misunderstanding the duplicates.txt file, but couldn't you just loop over the file, reading pairs of lines (skipping empty lines) and deleting one of them (after double checking that the other exists)? something like

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

while read -r file1; do 
      if [ "$file1" == "" ]; then
        continue
      fi
      while read -r file2; do
        if [ "$file2" == "" ]; then
          continue
        fi
        if [ -f "$file1" ]; then
          echo rm "$file2"
        fi
        break
      done
    done < "~/duplicates.txt"

Beans

steeldriver. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that your script does not work properly cause:

a) Some files may be repeated more than once, in that case you will have 3 lines.
    b) If a file is repeated, he wants to remove the one in a subdir called "Unsorted", "backup" or "recovered, not just the second.
    For example in this situation:

/home/statia/Pictures/Backup/Canon A520 372.jpg
    /home/statia/Pictures/Nevis 2009/img_1789.jpg /home/statia/Pictures/Unsorted/Canon A520 372.jpg

Statia would like to keep /home/statia/Pictures/Nevis 2009/img_1789.jpg and remove the other two. Your script wolud keep the first one, remove the second, keep the third, remove the next file....

and in a situation like this:

/home/statia/Pictures/Nevis 2009/img_1789.jpg

Your script would remove the second file, instead of the first one.

My script would fail in a situation like this one:

/home/statia/Pictures/Unsorted/Canon A520 372.jpg

because it would delete both files. I'm not sure if this is a possibility. So i warned Statia.
    Last edited by dozdozez; September 5th, 2012 at 08:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

awk has one feature that could prove useful - one can define RS as "\n\n" so these blocks become records with lines as fields and it would be rather easy to navigate using i in 1..NF range ($i)

Code:
    $ echo $'a\nb\n\nc\nd\ne'
    a
    b

c
    d
    e
    $ echo $'a\nb\n\nc\nd\ne' | awk 'BEGIN { RS="\n\n";}
                                           { $1=$1; printf( "[%s] ", NF); for(i=1;i<NF;i++) printf("%d:%s ",i,$i); printf("%d:%s\n",NF,$NF); }'
    [2] 1:a 2:b
    [3] 1:c 2:d 3:e
    i don't think that bash can use arbitrary string as a record separator but similar effect of blocks separated by empty lines can be achieved
    Code:
    do_something_with_array()
    {
      for(( i=0; i<${#f[@]}; i++))
      do
        echo $i ${f[$i]}
      done
      echo "--------";
    }

f=()
    while read l
    do
      if [ -z "$l" ]
      then
        do_something_with_array
        f=()
      else
        f+=( "$l" )
      fi
    done <<< $'a\nb\n\nc\nd\ne'
    do_something_with_array

output:
    0 a
    1 b
    --------
    0 c
    1 d
    2 e
    --------
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans
    Distro

Hey guys,

I just got back from a short trip and see that in my absence you have been busting your brains over my question (shameless request). Thanks a lot!
    Tomorrow I'm going to read it with full attention and experiment with it. I'll keep you posted and appreciated the effort!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Statia,

Be careful! I am in a similar situation to you with around 8,500 photos for which I used unreliable software to synchronize to an external disk/NAS server. Realizing this, I used to make ad hoc copies of everything, resulting in multiple copies of all but the most recent files, thinking I'll sort it out one day. That day arrived a week or so ago...

I used fdupes to test the finding of duplicates and it reported hundreds of false matches. (Maybe my version? I'm on version 1.50-PR2 of fdupes on Ubuntu 10.04LTS.) The reason for the false "duplicates" was because I use Picasa to tag pictures and the tags are embedded in the jpg file itself. I had spent hours tagging photos in one of my backups using Picasa but fdupes unfortunately doesn't see the changes in the file or the difference in the date of last access. I proved this by doing an MD5 sum on the files - which showed the differences. If I'd relied on fdupes I risked wasting hours of tagging time. So I decided to write my own script.

My approach is to have a 'master copy' of the photos which is the one on which the Picasa tagging was done and also where my camera saves photos - in a directory called Canon in sub-directories named after each day in the format YY_MM_DD.

A copy of photos to be checked can reside anywhere in the file system and the script runs from there, and creates its log files there. The concept is as follows:

1. Read all the files in the master directory and run md5sum against each one. Create a list of the file names and their corresponding md5 hash value.
    2. Delete all ZbThumbnail.info, picasa.ini and Thumbs.db files (as the master directory has these - they will be updated when the appropriate program is run and changes are made anyway).
    3. Read all files down from the current, local (to be checked) directory and check each file name to see if it exists in the master list.
    4. If a match is found it runs md5sum against the local file.
    5. Compare this md5 with that stored against the one in the master list. If it matches, the script deletes the local file and logs the action in a log of deleted files. Exit the loop immediately and go to the next file.
    6. If the local md5 does not match the master md5 it leaves it but adds and entry to a log of duplicate names found (but the file is different) for later processing.
    7. If step 3 did not find a match it adds an entry to a "no-match-found" log.
    8. Loop to step 3.
    9. Extract the md5 hash for each file for which no matching file name was found. Matches are deleted, adding an entry to the log of deleted files.
    10. Run a similar check on files in the log of files which can be deleted (see below).
    11. Delete all empty directories.
    12. Parse each entry in the log of matching file names but where the files have a different checksum and display each copy side by side using the maximum width allowable by my screen (512px as my max res is 1024 x 768 px ).
    13. For each pair, offer to delete the local file, overwrite the master file or skip and move on to the next pair. Appropriate log files are updated. This is important when deleting, as if the same file is encountered again, a check can be run against the deleted files' md5 hash so it can be deleted without the need for prompting again (see step 10). for this I use a log called selected_for_deletion.log,

I have almost finished my script writing using this concept, I have tested my scripts for steps 1 to 11 and 12 is in progress. At the moment my "script" is in three parts!

When the script is running through steps 3 to 8 it first prints the number of files it found in the current directory, what file it's currently processing and how many are left so you know where it is. On my prehistoric AMD Sempron laptop it took about 70 minutes to process a backup of 5100 photos and videos but these were all on an external USB hard drive.

With this approach there are pros:

1. My camera creates JPG, MOV and THM files and all of these are checked.
    2. It's extremely accurate as the matching is done using md5 hashes.
    3. It tells you where it's up to.

and cons:

1. My script does not cater for more than one duplicate of any file, but in my situation this is not an issue. (However, it can always be run again on the same backup....)
    2. It's not fast.

The bottom line is not to trust fdupes; carefully plan your requirements and thoroughly test what you are planning to implement on copies (of copies) first!

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast