Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OpenOffice 3.4 installation on Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: OpenOffice 3.4 installation on Ubuntu 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by maljaros View Post
    Thank you Nikhil. for guidance on installing OpenOffice in 12.04.
    It is a relief to be able to use this package after deleting the current build of LibreOffice which kept crashing.
    Can you, or somebody, please help me to "associate" existing *.odt, *.odg and *.ods files so that they open the relevant OpenOffice program?
    Although I can launch the package with the command /soffice.bin as you suggest, and can create and save new text, draw or calc files, I cannot open these files from within Nautilus which still wants to use LibreOffice (which is no longer on my system) and does not show OpenOffice in the list of "Other Applications".

What have I missed, or messed up?
    Hi,

I will check this out and will get back to you...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TenPlus1 View Post
    LibreOffice is built from OpenOffice with many improvements and bug fixes included... It's basically the same office suite with many new features...
    LibreOffice is a great alternative to Microsoft Office. But LibreOffice 3.5 is currently very unstable. The main motivation behind LibreOffice were concerns over Sun and then Oracle's bad management of the OpenOffice project. Since June 2011, Oracle contributed OpenOffice code and trademarks to the Apache Software Foundation, unilaterally relicensing all contributions under the Apache License, at the suggestion of IBM. Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice#History I hope LibreOffice gets more stable later. Mine crashes every 2 or 3 days while working with large amount of documents. 30 plus documents open at once. It's a big waste of time to re-open all documents after a crash. OpenOffice is more stable than LibreOffice.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

maljaros: right click a file, select Properties (bottom of the list) and in the Open with tab, select the correct component (or just the main AOO icon) and set it to default. If you've installed the desktop-integration packages, then you should have the components in the list of available applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Onopoc View Post
    The main motivation behind LibreOffice were concerns over Sun and then Oracle's bad management of the OpenOffice project. Since June 2011, Oracle contributed OpenOffice code and trademarks to the Apache Software Foundation, unilaterally relicensing all contributions under the Apache License, at the suggestion of IBM. Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice#History
    Beware that this is blattant FUD, the whole article has been revamped. See these threads on the AOO dev mailing list for the whole story:
    - In case you missed it: The OpenOffice Wikipedia page was FUD'ed over the holidays
    - OpenOffice on Wikipedia (was: In case you missed it: The OpenOffice Wikipedia page was FUD'ed over the holidays)

Quite sad for the LO team to come to such methods to promote their fork and denigrate Apache OpenOffice. It is just unfair and it undermines their credibility.
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans

Since many 12.04 users may refer here for the same problem, I wonder why nobody proposes using the embedded in ubuntu 12.04 manager to run the open office deb file? It worked smooth and easy for me... on 12.04.1, too!
    Last edited by astrantzalos; January 24th, 2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: wrong quote... sorry!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I don't like very much the command line but I've to admit that for some tasks, it's much quicker than any GUI. Especially when the bash history keeps all the strings needed in memory.

Usually, I just use the right click to extract the files and then the command line to move to the correct folder and type the dpkg command. At least you know what you do and you can check the output to make sure there has been no problem.

I've already tried to install some debs by double-click (it then uses the Ubuntu software center) but it has not been always satisfactory.
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you Hagar, for good advice on using Nautilus and for installation via command line.
    Also interesting read on Wikipedia FUD.
    MalJaros
    If you aren't learning you aren't growing - and if you aren't growing you are dying.

Beans

Can't activate theasurus in OpenOffice 3.1.4 under Ubuntu 12.10

Greetings!

I've Googled for solutions and most entries are dated and don't work with today's OOo version. I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 with OpenOffice 3.4.1 freshly installed via PPA because it doesn't show on package manager like OOo 3.4 did. OOo operates well except thesaurus icon and menu entry are ghosted. The Extension Manager has English Spelling, Hyphen and Thesaurus set (2010.03.16), and Writing Aids in Language Setting has OOo New Thesaurus checked. I took user advice and downed via command-line a new thesaurus to install but no difference. I did same advice to command-line purge all LibreOffice and OpenOffice and soffice files before doing a fresh OOo install but no change. LibreOffice and OOo 3.4.0 worked well with thesaurus, so is this really a installing flaw of OOo 3.4.1?

Thanks for any advice!

Jim in NYC

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for this helpful and clear instruction Nikhil. For other newbies like me that come from the UK, replace US with GB in the first three terminal commands (other country letters may be necessary wherever you are in the world and the package you download). Works like a dream. Glad to be rid of LibreOffice!!!

Ciao

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by maljaros View Post
    Thank you Nikhil. for guidance on installing OpenOffice in 12.04.
    It is a relief to be able to use this package after deleting the current build of LibreOffice which kept crashing.
    Can you, or somebody, please help me to "associate" existing *.odt, *.odg and *.ods files so that they open the relevant OpenOffice program?
    Although I can launch the package with the command /soffice.bin as you suggest, and can create and save new text, draw or calc files, I cannot open these files from within Nautilus which still wants to use LibreOffice (which is no longer on my system) and does not show OpenOffice in the list of "Other Applications".

What have I missed, or messed up?

Hi,

Me too facing the same issue. I used to open the openoffice and click file->open to open the existing file. But looks like there is a solution available (the link mentiones its for Ubuntu 13.10). Visit the below link....

http://itsfoss.com/add-application-l...s-ubuntu-1310/

--
    Many Thanks,
    Nikhil Bhalwankar
    Last edited by nikhilbhalwankar; December 3rd, 2013 at 10:25 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast