Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you trick out or go stock Desktop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do you trick out or go stock Desktop?

Reason I was asking is, I used to trick out to the extreme, to the point where I usually always ended up breaking things every couple of months or so.... But I did end up with truly rockin desktops

However over the past year... I realized I am not doing this so much anymore.... I barely change the wallpaper anymore....

So I am wondering of old time Nix users here.... is this a common thing or?

Beans

Re: Do you trick out or go stock Desktop?

On my 'work machines' I normally have a fairly vanilla install, I will change my Wallpaper about once a month, the theme I seldom if ever change.

In the Sandpit ( test machines) I mess around with all sorts and generally break things on a daily basis.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Must customize personal systems
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

I have a pretty heavily customized desktop, both in appearance and behaviour. The behaviour is more important than the appearance, and I've spent some effort tweaking it just right. That said, I don't spend much time tweaking it anymore because it's pretty much right.

I don't know that that counts as "tricking it out" because that implies more cosmetic issues, but I don't think I'd want a stock DE on my work machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

KDE user, i have to mess with everything..

Back in the days of natty and before, i tweaked the Gnome2.32 beyond repair so many times in the effort to add scripts to nautilus and make compiz do ridiculous things. To mess with every little gconf setting i could just to see what it does. Edit system images and icons. I backed up stuff but sometimes reversing what i did, did not go well; resulted in a complete re-install of Ubuntu.

I learned many things of what i can and can't do- and this forum helped me learn ways to reverse and fix most issues.

Since Unity came along and gnome2 was dropped, i have kinda slowed down on messing with things. I went to KDE 4, it already has so many native ways of customizing, that i'm not really doing anything that will inherently break the system. Dolphin has native script downloader and stuff too, so its pretty safe so far.
    There is also the issue of having time to mess with and tweak settings, otherwise i might have figured out optimal settings for Gnome3 by now- it runs like crap for me.

Beans

I don't spend much time on the desktop. Mostly I run apps maximized. So my desktop is solid black with colors of components adjusted for visibility.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    Must customize personal systems
    I read this in a robotic monotone. +1.

Beans

Red face Re: Do you trick out or go stock Desktop?

I'm not very artistic, so when I have tried in the past to customize my desktops, I have just made messes. So, now I always run standard desktops except for wallpaper.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Not half as much as i used to. I think when i started using Ubuntu (8.04) the novelty of being able to tweak things was a novelty. I loved that i could change the whole theme so easily. I had a different looking desktop every few days. As time has gone by i stick with themes and set ups far longer than i used to. Nowadays, i know what i like and how i like things set up so when i install a distro i usually set it up once and then leave it be. I do very little these days. I'm using Gnome shell. I add a few extensions, maybe 4 or 5, add a theme that makes gtk2 apps look like adwaita, faenza icons and that's pretty much it. The wallpaper is the only thing that i change after that, if i even feel like doing that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs up Re: Do you trick out or go stock Desktop?

Used to be a trickster...

Now stock user with just Wally auto wallpaper changer..

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast