Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad U410 linux only installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Lenovo Ideapad U410 linux only installation

So this U410, shipped with Raid on?
    And how is the original Win 7 and recovery paritions reside?

Can you post the info from fdisk?

Beans

Hi...I bought Lenovo U410 26 days ago and just within week I disappointed with windows 8..so I decided to install Ubuntu 12.10 along side it.....Actually I want to uninstall windows completely but I am never used linux system and I am afraid what if some program that I am using since last several years wont run on linux.

So you wont believe but I tried for three week.....freaking UEFI wont let me(changed to Legacy mode)........Then finaly I succeeded and I am running now Ubuntu 12.10 along with the Windows 8 on U410.

Its been a week and I must say its much much better than windows.....like the touch pad and scrolling works much better than W8, faster than W8..I mean in opening files and booting.....SO far I haven't experienced any difficulties.....

However.......when I looked 'into the about this computer'>overview.........there its mentions my laptop details.....but in Graphics it says unknown........so may be it doesn't installed the driver for the graphics or I dont know....but i am sure there must be something for that..If someone can help me I will highly appreciate.

Another thing is: I installed wine and I am unable to use it.....I want the "wunderlist and connectify-mee" program on the ubuntu..
    Pls help me.....or recommend me similar program for 'task to do' and 'hotspot' functionality on Linux.....

And now I am considering that I will keep only one operating system..............And that would be definately Ubuntu....

Thanks
    Last edited by avpatel; March 8th, 2013 at 08:09 PM.

Beans

Hi...I bought Lenovo U410 26 days ago and just within week I disappointed with windows 8..so I decided to install Ubuntu 12.10 along side it.....Actually I want to uninstall windows completely but I am never used linux system and I am afraid what if some program that I am using since last several years wont run on linux.

So you wont believe but I tried for three week.....freaking UEFI wont let me(changed to Legacy mode)........Then finaly I succeeded and I am running now Ubuntu 12.10 along with the Windows 8 on U410.

Its been a week and I must say its much much better than windows.....like the touch pad and scrolling works much better than W8, faster than W8..I mean in opening files and booting.....SO far I haven't experienced any difficulties.....

However.......when I looked into the about this computer>overview.........there its mentions my laptop details.....but in Graphics it says unknow........so may doesn't installed the driver for the graphics or I dont know....but i am sure there must be something for that..If someone can help me I will highly appreciate.

Another thing is: I installed wine and I am unable to use it.....I want the "wunderlist and connectify-mee" program on the ubuntu..
    Pls help me.....or recommend me similar program for to do list and hot spot functinality on Linux.....

And now I am considering the I will keep only one operating system..............And that would be definately Ubuntu....

Thanks

Beans

Since there are some troublesome post about installing ubuntu on lenovo u410, so I just wanna add success installation story based my experience, so nubee like me have courage todo so; (this is ubuntu only, no dual booting)
    good news, I manage install ubuntu 13.04 with only minor glitch, so here the step:
    1. go to bios (fn-f2) - change raid to ahcpi (ide controller part - otherwise ubuntu installer wonn't recognoize any hd);
    2. dont forget set boot priority - adjust to whatever media u use as ubuntu installer (udb drive,dvd,etc);
    3. first try : (glitch #1)
    I do manual partition;
    1. /boot 500mb
    2. /swap 4096 mb - (put same amount as ur hardware ram u have, mine 4gb)
    3. /root 50 gb
    4. /home (the res GB);
    installation halt, I restart and try again, it works - instalation complete, alas after reboot fail to recognize any available OS (forget what the error shows);
    4. so I did step 3 again except, on creating /boot partition i use efi boot partition (option avail just like when u try make /swap file) and make it partition size < 256mb (as I'd tried with 500mb and failed (glitch #2)). the rest partition the same. if it halt, just keep trying,...the installation complete, and reboot and it just works.
    it seems everything works, whortcut, wifi, suspend/ hybernate / resume, wifi, bt. my model is the ivy bridge one i5 3317u.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12