Thread: Installing BURG

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Installing BURG

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    @cortman,
    Perhaps I should have heeded your advice and steered clear of burg.

I could live with the resolution, but I'm not sure how to fix two things:
    Icons - The Ubuntu Icon is loaded for Lubuntu, and a question mark is used for Peppermint. Is it using a set of icons made specifically for burg?
    List - The list currently has too many entries for Ubuntu. This problem actually occurred in the normal GRUB, but I hoped (foolishly) that it would go away when I installed burg.
    Burg development probably ceased before the advent of Peppermint. I don't know where it gets its icon sets...
    I was a big fan of Burg back in the day (which is why your post caught my eye) but I wasn't completely pleased with it.
    If you're interested in removing burg you can use these instructions to reinstall Grub to your MBR.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    It doesn't do resolution correctly. Maximum is something like 1280x1024 (IIRC), which looks bad with widescreens.
    This is not correct. I use BURG on my laptop, running at 1920x1080, with 24-bit colors. Works just fine.

...and there should be plenty of widescreen resolutions available even if your display's full resolution isn't supported, so going for any smaller wide-screen resolution available should at least give you decent image with correct aspect ratio.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@cortman,
    Perhaps I should have heeded your advice and steered clear of burg.

I could live with the resolution, but I'm not sure how to fix two things:
    Icons - The Ubuntu Icon is loaded for Lubuntu, and a question mark is used for Peppermint. Is it using a set of icons made specifically for burg?
    List - The list currently has too many entries for Ubuntu. This problem actually occurred in the normal GRUB, but I hoped (foolishly) that it would go away when I installed burg.
    The icons are not magically brought to BURG from your installed operating systems, BURG simply has pre-made themes with whatever graphics the theme designer used. So if you want different icons you need to switch to different BURG theme, or edit one to fit your preferences.

What comes to the amount of Ubuntu ebtries in Grub/BURG, that's simply a question of how many kernel version you have installed on your machine. (As you might knwo, kernel updates will not overwrite the old kernel, but instead install new version alognside the old one). BURG has the option to hide the extra entries and only show the latest kernel version, but the best solution (with any bootloader) is to uninstall the old kernel versions you aren't using any more. This will automatically remove them from the bootloader, and of course also frees some disk space for you...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    What comes to the amount of Ubuntu ebtries in Grub/BURG, that's simply a question of how many kernel version you have installed on your machine. (As you might knwo, kernel updates will not overwrite the old kernel, but instead install new version alognside the old one). BURG has the option to hide the extra entries and only show the latest kernel version, but the best solution (with any bootloader) is to uninstall the old kernel versions you aren't using any more. This will automatically remove them from the bootloader, and of course also frees some disk space for you...
    Actually, I didn't know that. Now that you mention it though, I have seen entries stack up like that in the past. I've just never cared, because I only ever wanted the top one (the latest kernel for Ubuntu) or on very rare occasions, the one for Windows. Now that I have multiple Ubuntu variants installed, it makes things more complicated. I will try to remove the old kernel versions.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    This is not correct. I use BURG on my laptop, running at 1920x1080, with 24-bit colors. Works just fine.

...and there should be plenty of widescreen resolutions available even if your display's full resolution isn't supported, so going for any smaller wide-screen resolution available should at least give you decent image with correct aspect ratio.
    My bad. Although I never got it to display correctly, it was apparently more my fault than Burg's. Thanks for the clarification!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    My bad. Although I never got it to display correctly, it was apparently more my fault than Burg's. Thanks for the clarification!
    No worries, it could be related to something like graphics card as well. (my old laptop wasn't able to get correct resolution with Burg, based on what I found out because the firmware of the card was missing identifier for the correct resolution.).

..and, to be honest, Burg is quite slow with high resolutions anyway, so I recommend using smaller resolution with correct aspect ratio instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So, I want to install BURG according to the directions at http://www.unixmen.com/how-to-install-burg-in-ubuntu/. The directions are a little unclear at one point. They say to
    Code:
     sudo burg-install "(hd0)"
    and say

Now, if drives are assigned letters (e.g., sda, sdb, etc.) and partitions are assigned numbers (e.g., sda1, sda2, sdb1, etc.), what exactly should I be substituting for 'hd0'?
    You should actually use:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure burg-pc
    And you will be given a list of valid places to install the bootloader.

As well, read this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...71&postcount=6
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12