Thread: Searchable Folder Names in Shotwell (like Picassa)? All I have is just dates.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Searchable Folder Names in Shotwell (like Picassa)? All I have is just dates.

I have been using Picassa with Windows for years now. I have named all my folders during imports with a useful name that I can search later. I imported my entire library and I'm trying to find things in Shotwell and can't find anything.

I really like it that I can see folder names in Picassa. Seems like all I have is just dates in Shotwell. Any way to get the folder names? I can't search the way I did in Picassa and it's been a frustrating experience so far.

EDIT: Just tried DigiKam and it has the folders listed as well as other ways to sort files.
    Last edited by 777funk; September 4th, 2012 at 01:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Searchable Folder Names in Shotwell (like Picassa)? All I have is just dates.

Shotwell doesn't have a folder tree in the sidebar (yet!), but you can certainly search by filename or look at a filename in the extended properties dialog.

Can you explain a bit more about what you're trying to do?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Searchable Folder Names in Shotwell (like Picassa)? All I have is just dates.

Quote Originally Posted by eric-yorba View Post
    Shotwell doesn't have a folder tree in the sidebar (yet!), but you can certainly search by filename or look at a filename in the extended properties dialog.

Can you explain a bit more about what you're trying to do?
    Thanks for that. To go more into detail, I like to see the Folder Names in the side bar (similarly to that of Picassa). Also, nice in Picassa is that I can type in say a persons name or event for example say I have a folder named "day at the zoo" I type "Zoo" into the search bar and immediately I have only folders with the word Zoo the name. That was useful in Picassa. Other than that, there really won't be anything I miss. But the speed and ease of finding my folders by name in Picassa is something I loved about it.

I like the simplicity and clean look of Shotwell, seems like a great program. I see why Ubuntu chose it as it's main Photo Software.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just did some basic photo editing for a customer. So far out of everything I've tried, I like the beauty of simplicity that the Shotwell layout has yet it's powerful enough to do quite a bit! I like it.

But not being able to search folder names is killing me. lol I'm so used to that from Picassa.

I actually like the editing in shotwell and the options a little bit more I think. But man do I miss being able to type in the search bar and have my folders with only those terms in a matter of seconds. That was pretty useful.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Really liking Shotwell (getting used to it and so far seems to be the best simple editor for Linux). Is there another program that I could run along side Shotwell to search by my folder names?

Also, and equally important, is there a way to name the folder (automatically create new folder) that Shotwell imports to from the camera's memory card?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: Searchable Folder Names in Shotwell (like Picassa)? All I have is just dates.

Quote Originally Posted by 777funk View Post
    Really liking Shotwell (getting used to it and so far seems to be the best simple editor for Linux). Is there another program that I could run along side Shotwell to search by my folder names?
    Looks like we have a user-submitted patch to add this. Unfortunately it's too late for it to make it to 0.13, but just be aware that it's coming down the pipe eventually.

http://redmine.yorba.org/issues/1594

Also, and equally important, is there a way to name the folder (automatically create new folder) that Shotwell imports to from the camera's memory card?
    There's some basic options in the prefs for the folder structure that gets created for each import, but no (easy) way to create a folder for each import. You could go into the prefs each time and type in the folder name you want, but I think that would get old fast.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Awesome! Sounds like something I will use.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eric-yorba View Post
    Looks like we have a user-submitted patch to add this. Unfortunately it's too late for it to make it to 0.13, but just be aware that it's coming down the pipe eventually.

http://redmine.yorba.org/issues/1594
    Eric, I have been following this issue for a long time now. The ability to display the filesystem and connect events to folder names is a big deal. I have used Shotwell from time to time but still have to load Picasa via Wine to view my pictures because this one feature is missing. I use gThumb also but it is very slow since it doesn't do the caching that Shotwell does.

I see that this is targeted for 0.14 but I know if was originally set for 0.13 and versions prior. Please let the powers that be at Yorba know that these tickets are huge for the many new Linux users coming over from the Picasa world. Thanks! This is great software and I am really hoping that 0.14 will make it the one I can use full time.

A few related tickets:

http://redmine.yorba.org/issues/2747

http://redmine.yorba.org/issues/2195

http://redmine.yorba.org/issues/3549

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Folder Tree in Shotwell--an essential tool to become relevant!

This is an absolute need for me...and I'm sure others. My files are all organized by evernts--that is what happened to make me take the photo. And many are from distant past travels that I've scanned. Thus the date of creation bears no relation to the actual time of the event. As such Shotwell is useless for me and I'm using Digikam.

Having the photo lens rely on shotwell makes the lens more of a bother than a help. It's also useless for finding pictures from one of these old scanned files.

Hopefully this will change soon.....though I note it's been a problem with this application for years.