Thread: How can the community help Ubuntu One development?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Arrow How can the community help Ubuntu One development?

I use Ubuntu One as well as SkyDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox for a number of years on multiple systems. I use them for backup, sharing, accessibility and synchronizing across systems. No "one" system has been able to satisfy all of my needs but the competition is heating up and I am afraid Ubuntu One is falling behind.

This brings me to my question: is there a way in which somebody from the community (a non-Canonical employee) can help the Ubuntu One project?

I may not be experienced with programming in this capacity (client and python-based web) I am willing to learn what I need if there is a way I can submit it to the Ubuntu One team.

Not many projects really get me fired up enough to want to get involved with or to take the time to learn what I would need to, but with Ubuntu One I see a lot of potential and possibilities to make a difference.

I see room for improvement in the website interface, and applaud the web searching & buying feature for the Ubuntu One Music Store (announced today).
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro

Re: How can the community help Ubuntu One development?

If you can bundle Ubuntu 1 for other Linux distros it could build a bigger user base.
    My site - for my role-playing games, spaceships and stuff like that.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by spaceshipguy View Post
    If you can bundle Ubuntu 1 for other Linux distros it could build a bigger user base.
    There is an article that talks about being able to connect to it via FTP in other distributions.

Recently, James Henstridge from my team at Ubuntu One released u1ftp, a simple app to provide FTP access to Ubuntu One. It's deliberately designed so that it works across platforms; whether you're on Windows or OS X or Ubuntu or Kubuntu or Fedora or whatever, it should work for you, so you can access your Ubuntu One storage via FTP, and therefore if you want to you can mount your U1 storage as a drive in your file manager.
    Read it here : http://www.kryogenix.org/days/2012/09/11/accessing-ubuntu-one-file-storage-via-ftp-from-any-os
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Well the way I contribute is through paying $3.99 a month for the additional 20 GB and unlimited music stream which I assume more paying people means more paid developers, but I could be horrribly wrong there I guess.

What I would like to see and I could be horribly wrong but I would like to Ubuntu One sync on the phones for contacts. I am able to syn videos, pictures and music on my phone but it would be nice to sync contacts.