Thread: Logitech Quickcam E1000 not working? Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

Question Logitech Quickcam E1000 not working? Ubuntu 11.04

I have just installed Ububtu Linux 11.04 om my new PC (Dell Inspiron 620 5.2GHZ). The camera does not seem to be working. I am new to this version of Linux and can't see where to look to see if the camera is visible to the system. Also I can not see where to get the drivers. There is some mention of drivers in other forums but no links to the files. Also I am a novice user, some of the suggested solutions seemed too technical for me. Is there and easy way to fix this or do I need to buy another camera? Is so what should I buy so that it will plug in and work without any hassle? Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Logitech Quickcam E1000 not working? Ubuntu 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by pmanley View Post
    I have just installed Ububtu Linux 11.04 om my new PC (Dell Inspiron 620 5.2GHZ). The camera does not seem to be working. I am new to this version of Linux and can't see where to look to see if the camera is visible to the system. Also I can not see where to get the drivers. There is some mention of drivers in other forums but no links to the files. Also I am a novice user, some of the suggested solutions seemed too technical for me. Is there and easy way to fix this or do I need to buy another camera? Is so what should I buy so that it will plug in and work without any hassle? Thanks for any help.
    Although Cheese has its share of bugs, it usually works with most webcams- have you tried installing/using it?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install cheese

Beans

I installes Chese using the software centre. It did not seem to work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pmanley View Post
    I installes Chese using the software centre. It did not seem to work.
    Then I would suggest a look at this page.

Beans

Question Re: Logitech Quickcam E1000 not working? Ubuntu 11.04

OK I looked at that page but could not see anything suitable. Perhaps I am missing the important thing on there, I don't know. I have installed Ubuntu Linux 12.04 and Cheese to test the camera. Still not seeing the camera. Any ideas?

Beans

I have found a project called GSPCA and I have downloaded a file called
    gspcav1-20071224.tar.gz

Now how do Install that? I am sorry if this seems a bit obvious to others out there.

Beans

I also found these files on the web which claim to solve the problem:

qc-usb-0.6.6.tar.gz
    qcamvc-1.0.11.tar.gz

However, I don't know what to do with these files to use them. I understand that they are file compressed files that I can extract, but where do I put them and what do I need to do to use them? I am a Linux novice, so please keep any instructions clear and simple. Assume I know very little about how to run stuff at the command prompt. Thanks.

Beans

I have tried to extract and compile all these. But I get errors with each on. I'm not able to extract them in /usr/src as instructed as I don't have the permission to do that. How do I set the permission to allow me to extract them in the correct place?

Beans

OK I give up. I ave now tried to install four different drivers that I'm told would solve my problem. I am now convinced that the solution is to buy a webcam that will work easily with 12.04 Ubuntu. Which webcams are supported by this system? If you have a webcam that works on 12.04 without any setup please tell me about it. Thanks.