Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Does Xubuntu need a bit more love? Chapter 2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Does Xubuntu need a bit more love? Chapter 2.

I am surprised Xfce and Xubuntu are not more popular, especially with all the Unity and Gnome 3 hate that was going around (not so much on the Unity anymore though).
    You know, that is a very good question. My main system is 12.04/Gnome shell. I run Xubuntu in a VM, have it looking like Ubuntu (Ambiance theme, sound, Cairo dock, LightDM login, etc.) But, I always tell myself that next release I am moving to Xubuntu -- but never quite do. I think its partly "bling" as described earlier -- its kind of drab out of the box and I think that turns people off.

IMO, the stock system could easily be made to be simple and elegant and still retain its light and speedy appeal. But, if it were, it would be too competitive with Ubuntu and I don't think Canonical would stand for that
    Last edited by makitso; September 8th, 2012 at 02:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    i'm on arch. and it wasn't compiling right from the AUR. I found this which works pretty well for anyone who is looking https://launchpad.net/menulibre
    Yeah... It's stuff like that that keeps me in the Ubuntu family. I would probably learn more if I struggled with Arch.
    Linux: You reap what you tweak.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Yeah... It's stuff like that that keeps me in the Ubuntu family. I would probably learn more if I struggled with Arch.
    You'd be surprised how easy it is. Heck if you follow the beginners guide it's almost impossible to screw up. And packages you use on a daily basis are in the official repos. Also if you are having trouble getting something to compile from the AUR either somebody has suggested a better alternative or provided a solution in the comments. I had been meaning to try it forever and suddenly i couldn't resist the urge.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

You'd be surprised how easy it is.
    Are you using systemd?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Are you using systemd?
    yeah i moved over when pacman asked me if i wanted to move over. the machine actually boots much quicker than it did before
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I find https://bbs.archlinux.org/ very useful for all things related to Arch Linux.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I find https://bbs.archlinux.org/ very useful for all things related to Arch Linux.
    absolutely but i actually find answers on here quicker than there. the wiki is so extensive that if you can't find an answer on there good luck.

Beans

yeah i moved over when pacman asked me if i wanted to move over. the machine actually boots much quicker than it did before
    That's what I was interested in, thanks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234