Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Xubuntu need a bit more love? Chapter 2.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Does Xubuntu need a bit more love? Chapter 2.

We were very happy with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and we converted all our users to Ubuntu. Most of our users are 35-50 year old and these people use their computers for routine tasks for the last 5 years. We did some test and the result was clear – nobody liked Unity and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and everybody felt in love with XFCE and Xubuntu 12.04 LTS. So, we migrated all our machines to Xubuntu 12.04 LTS. Xubuntu is the most elegant and aesthetic distro around. What about you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Does Xubuntu need a bit more love? Chapter 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Marzata View Post
    We were very happy with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and we converted all our users to Ubuntu. Most of our users are 35-50 year old and these people use their computers for routine tasks for the last 5 years. We did some test and the result was clear – nobody liked Unity and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and everybody felt in love with XFCE and Xubuntu 12.04 LTS. So, we migrated all our machines to Xubuntu 12.04 LTS. Xubuntu is the most elegant and aesthetic distro around. What about you?
    I like Gnome 3 and Unity, but XFCE is good for people who like the Gnome 2 paradigm...

Beans

The missus had been using 10.04 Lucid since its launch, but I managed to convince her to upgrade to the new LTS when it became available. Thinking she would prefer Xubuntu, being used to Gnome 2 and all, I stuck it on for her. But she hates it! I was really surprised by this. Having a couple of problems with it (eg. the Firefox window keeps disappearing for some reason, leaving behind only the window bar at the top, and nothing seems to recover it bar closing and relaunching it), and generally she doesn't find it as complete as the older Gnome Ubuntu.

Tried her out with Ubuntu 12.04 Unity and success! She loves it. Took a bit of time explaining the new desktop, but it's a real winner for her.

For me, I can see the appeal of Xubuntu, but I wouldn't use it on my own desktop personally. It's just not for me.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, nVidia 9800GT 512Mb

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Marzata View Post
    Xubuntu is the most elegant and aesthetic distro around. What about you?
    Although I have it installed on my laptop I just can't get the colour schemes looking right. Some of the default schemes are just awful. I gave up trying to use terminal programs in Xubuntu until I changed to colour scheme to something more conventional. So while Xubuntu does need more love and attention it is certainly not the most elegant distro around.

So, I'll be sticking with Kubuntu on my desktop and Ubuntu/Lubuntu on my netbook.
    I'm a regular contributor to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter. Want to help?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Xubuntu's alright.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    Having a couple of problems with it (eg. the Firefox window keeps disappearing for some reason, leaving behind only the window bar at the top, and nothing seems to recover it bar closing and relaunching it), ...
    The window manager in Xfce has window-shade ability built in. Sounds like somehow your wife is "rolling up the shade". Does the title bar have an up arrow next to the usual min/max/close buttons? Sorry, I'm not familiar with Xubuntu's theme.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I like most of it, and it is what I'm using on my main desktop now, but...

Well xfdesktop is awful. I want to smoosh my desktop icons around and form little piles. xfdesktop only lets you keep them in a grid. So I set nautilus to render my desktop. I don't like thunar or any file manager anymore really. Old nautilus used to have a compact mode that worked well and eliminated wasted space. Nautilus doesn't have this anymore and the version used in caja is not ideal. I didn't really like the feel of thunar so I'm using marlin and sometimes nautilus.

Also, in 12.04 and from my experience, xfce is the only DE where I can run compiz without terrible bugs. If I run it with Unity I can't even use custom key commands with the supper key - they just don't work.

Personally I think a good linux DE should be, above all else, modular. You should be able to swap any part of it out for any other similar package. NONE of the new DEs do this or do it well; it is completely anti-linux as far I'm concerned. Even KDE is better then Unity and Gnome 3 at being modular, and it is the original Evil King of Integration. I hate integration.

So yes, I'm an xfce boy now. The only interface problem I haven't worked out in 12.04 is why compiz's scale doesn't support scale for all workspaces anymore. That was one of my main reasons for using it in the first place.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by arsenic23 View Post

Also, in 12.04 and from my experience, xfce is the only DE where I can run compiz without terrible bugs. If I run it with Unity I can't even use custom key commands with the supper key - they just don't work.

Unity's WM is compiz.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by smellyman View Post
    Unity's WM is compiz.....
    Yeah, I know. That's what I'm talking about. In unity compiz doesn't work the way you would expect it to while if you run sans-unity it works just as expected. I didn't even have to change any settings.

Configured the way I wanted in Unity: Broken
    Not changing config files and starting it in xfce: Working

A lot of key command stuff seems to have been hijacked by parts of Unity. For instance you can't set super+XCVB as back,pause,play,forward in Clementine in 12.04's Unity. Some of those keys just won't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I said this in the other thread but Live Voyager is a very slick spin of xubuntu. I am using it on my primary machine. XFCE 4.8/4.10 is really easy to work with coming from a Gnome 2.x environment and easy on the resources.

I'm warming up to Gnome Shell which is improving as themes and extensions appear. It completely rocks on my htpc where preserving a traditional workflow is not much of an issue.

Has anyone worked seriously with Ubuntu + MATE?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast