I have searched all the forums and found many posts about keyboard repeat rate but none quite like my issue.
I can alter the repeat rate when a key is held down but can find no way to change the delay when repeating the same key stroke, as when typing double letters (allow, see. etc).
At the moment I have to wait about 0.5sec before I can type the repeated letter, but with different keys there is no delay. Obviously it makes typing impossibly slow. I already tried changing the System settings in 'keyboard' for both delay and speed, but to no avail when typing double letters.
I am running 12.04 (32 bit) using Unity on a desktop with two separate HDs - one with Ubuntu, the other with Win7.
I am using a Logitech Cordless iTouch keyboard and there is no problem in any Windows OS. I thought it might be a driver issue but changing to a different wired keyboard (PS2 connected) produces the same effect - works in Windows perfectly but in Ubuntu all keys hang when repeatedly tapped.
I posted this question in other forums without result, but was so impressed with the help Hadaka and Chili555 gave a guy in these Ubuntu Forums that I am trying again!