Thread: start up issue

Beans

start up issue

i bought my daughter a mini dell a few years back, it came with ubuntu OS, she recently sent it home but has not used it in years. when i start it up system asks for a passcode ---which she does not remember what it is

how do i reset the passcode without knowing it.

i have tried to hold down f2, f 12, shift and excape once i hit button to start it but nothing works.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: start up issue

marrick;

Hi ! welcome to the forum.

See this link for a detailed howto to reset the pass word:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

Note: If the ubuntu system is "several years old" consider installing the current version.

Regards <==BDQ

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Yes, the OS is going to be out of date. Download a new version and boot it live, then install over the old.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hello ,

If she put a hard disk password then the news are not good. Usually the hard disk passwords written in firmware of the HDD . You cannot bypass this password. No. Buy a new HDD , it will cost you less from a technician to unlock the HDD.

If the password setted in BIOS , then you can bypass it , with hardware "surgery" . Open the laptop and remove the little battery . The BIOS or motherboard battery , for 5 minutes. With this "trick" you will reset the BIOS in default settings.

Thanks