Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lemur Fan Replacement

Beans

Lemur Fan Replacement

I've had a lemu2 for awhile now, and I really like it. Lately, though, the fan throttles up very high (sounds like a model airplane), and it's just started to make loud clicking noises when I move the computer around.

Are there any DIY guides out there for replacing the fan?

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Lemur Fan Replacement

I have a System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) and I would like to know the answer to this question as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

My fan is also very loud at times. It doesn't seem to be spinning overly fast, just very noisy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It will be different for each model, and the best way to get a replacement fan is by logging in to your account (https://www.system76.com/my-account) then opening a support ticket.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro

I opened a support ticket regarding the fan noise - got a quick response explaining how to access the fan. I was told that the fan could be replaced if necessary, but the noise has not recurred since my previous post.

Very satisfied with the response from System76 and my new Lemur.

Beans

The noise got worse since I first posted. Tried blowing out the fan by removing the keyboard without any success, so I opened the case and gained full access to the fan. Having cracked the case on Apple products, this was a walk in the park by comparison.

Removed the fan and found a carpet of crud between the fan and the heatsink that was blocking airflow. Scraped out as much as I could and reassembled. Running much cooler now and isn't quite as noisy, although still loud enough to be annoying.

Got the fan's model number and ordered a new one for $10. After the fan arrives on the slow boat from China, will see about posting a DIY somewhere for those past warranty and unwilling to pay $100 for service.

Beans

The fan arrived, and I just replaced it. Went smoothly, and I can barely hear the fan now.
    I'd forgotten how nice this machine is when it's quiet. Definitely worth the $10 and one hour of my time.

Lemur Ultra Thin
    model: lemu2

Tools:
    • PH0 computer screwdriver (phillips head) for the M2.5 screws
    • PH00 computer screwdriver (phillips head) for all the rest
    • spudger
    • small bowl for the screws
    • can of compressed air
    • anti-static wrist strap

Disassembly:

1. Unplug the computer and remove the battery.
    2. Remove the M2.5 keyboard screw in the center.
    3. Flip the computer over, open the lid, and remove the keyboard. Press in the four tabs above the top row with the spudger until the keyboard pops out.
    4. Unlock the keyboard ribbon and gently pull it out with the spudger. Set the keyboard aside.
    5. Unlock the trackpad ribbon and gently pull it out with the spudger.
    6. Unplug the black monitor cable connector.
    7. Unfasten the tape holding down the 3G wire.
    8. Remove the screw to the lower left of the fan.
    9. Close the lid and flip the computer over.
    10. Remove the two remaining M2.5 screws. Note that they are shorter than the keyboard screw.
    11. Remove the two screws at the bottom edge of the hard drive cover.
    12. Remove the hard drive cover.
    13. Remove the remaining visible small black screws.
    14. Find a spot where the case has opened slightly and slowly work the spudger around the edge until the entire case has cracked open.
    15. Flip the computer over and open the lid. This is where it gets a bit tricky. There are a few wires on the right side that seem difficult to disconnect. I left those in place and worked from the left side of the computer. This is easier to do if you're left-handed like I am.
    16. Gently lift up the left edge of the top case with one hand to expose a working space above the fan, like opening a book with the binding on the right edge. You'll need to hold the top case open for steps 17-20.
    17. Remove the screws holding in the fan.
    18. Unplug the fan.
    19. Remove any accumulated dust with compressed air.
    20. Insert the new fan, replace the screws, and plug it in.

Reassembly:

1. Set down the left side of the top case and gently press all edges until the case has completely snapped back together.
    2. Replace the screw to the lower left of the fan.
    3. Reattach the monitor cable, trackpad ribbon, and keyboard ribbon. Refasten the tape holding down the 3G wire.
    4. Reinsert the keyboard.
    5. Close the lid and flip the computer over.
    6. Replace the two screws on the top edge and left corner of the hard drive enclosure.
    7. Replace the hard drive cover.
    8. Replace all remaining screws.
    9. Reinsert the battery.

Hope this helps. I'm not an expert by any means. Any suggestions for things I missed are much appreciated.
    Last edited by drewhops; May 9th, 2013 at 09:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro

The fan noise on my Lemur Ultra returned a few weeks ago. After reopening my support ticket, a new fan was shipped under warranty.

Replacement on mine was very easy - the fan is attached to a removable panel on the bottom.
    There are 4 screws on the panel, 3 that hold the fan to the panel and power cord to unplug.

It took about 5 minutes to switch the fans and it is now nice and quiet.
    Last edited by cbtengr; May 9th, 2013 at 12:35 PM.

Beans

Sounds like the new models are designed better. I plan to keep my lemu2 running for at least a few more years, until the SSD gives out or the case falls apart. It's held together with tape in a couple spots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just a tip: you should never scrape dust off of any part in a computer. It's much better to use a can of compressed air instead.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast