Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have Windows 7; Xubuntu 12.04 installer does not see it though.

Beans

Have Windows 7; Xubuntu 12.04 installer does not see it though.

Sooooo, basically the last four days straight I have devoted (and a couple of my friends have devoted) almost all my time to this problem. I may be a little wordy, but I'm trying to be as specific about my problem as I can. Also, I'm relatively new to Linux and may need instructions on the specific side, rather than vague.

I bought a new computer recently, an HP p7-1234 computer. And I wanted to split the harddrive roughly in half: half for Windows 7 (for Netflix, and any gaming I care to do), and half for Xubuntu (for school, web-browsing, torrents, and for communicating with my school's Macs).

My friend and I try to install xubuntu, but it didn't work. Please don't ask exactly why or how, I don't remember which problem it was at this point. You must understand, I spent the next several days going back and forth, doing one thing to fix a previous problem, that would create 8-9 other problems, and I probably went through about 8 total OS installation sequences in the last three days.

Everything was wiped last night though and then we reinstalled Windows 7. It is finally working. And it is only on a partition that takes up half the drive.

Specifics:
    System Reserved -- 100 MB
    C: -- 465.66 GB
    Unallocated -- 465.76

I want to use the Unallocated space to install grub, xubuntu, and the swap space. But when I run the live USB version of Xubuntu, the installer gets to the step where you select how you want it to be partitioned, and it doesn't have an option for "Install Xubuntu alongside Windows 7." It just has "wipe drive and install Xubuntu" and "something else."
    I click something else and it says That my whole drive, all 1000 GB, is free space. Which I know it is not because I am using the windows partition to post this.

On the trial xubuntu 12.04 desktop, it even shows two unmounted drives, one of 500 GB, and another that says it is "unallocated" (or something like that). I tried to mount one and nothing happened.

Neither of my friends has heard of this kind of problem before, both have installed xubuntu alongside windows before (one of them has done it many times). I am afraid to do much because I was in the same situation a day and a half ago and trying to fix the partitions ended up messing up my Windows Installation. (Resulting in the second half of that 4 days worth of struggle). That's why I decided to post here and ask if anyone knows what I am supposed to do.

Anyway, if anyone knows how to install xubuntu alongside Windows 7 when Xubuntu doesn't know the Windows exists, that would be awesome.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Have Windows 7; Xubuntu 12.04 installer does not see it though.

1. You can't mount unallocated space

You may only want to create a reasonably small partition for your Xubuntu install, say 20-40gb, and create a data partition using ntfs (this will mean both Windows and Xubuntu can read the data)

2. Choose something else (this will offer you manual partitioning and setup
    2.1. Create a primary ext4 partition in the unallocated space, giving it the mount point "/"
    2.2 Confirm all this the installer should offer you to create swap space do so.
    2.3 Install Xubuntu

Note: there may be more steps, look at the psychocats tutorials for more help
    The best things in life are free, so what are we paying for?

Beans
    Hidden!

Can you boot again to the live Xubuntu system, then open a terminal and post the output from the command
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    It would also be useful to see a screenshot of a gparted window; I am pretty sure gparted is available on the live Xubuntu system without you needing to install anything to it, so just use the print screen key, save the image then attach it back here by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar, and navigating to the image you saved.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would say don't try to install until you figure out why it doesn't see your win7. It's pointless to install since without seeing win7 is there it will not create a dual boot.

Boot into live mode with the cd, open terminal and post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    sudo parted -l
    The disk can show as unallocated if there is some error in the partition table. Windows often ignores some errors but linux doesn't.

Another thing, is the disk in windows Basic or Dynamic? Check in windows Disk Management for this. If it's Dynamic, don't even try to install since that is MS format and linux doesn't understand it correctly.

Also, are you using UEFI bios/boot or the older standard BIOS boot?
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Merrattic View Post
    1. You can't mount unallocated space

You may only want to create a reasonably small partition for your Xubuntu install, say 20-40gb, and create a data partition using ntfs (this will mean both Windows and Xubuntu can read the data)

2. Choose something else (this will offer you manual partitioning and setup
    2.1. Create a primary ext4 partition in the unallocated space, giving it the mount point "/"

1: Wasn't sure about that, but I tried mounting the 500 drive as well, and it didn't work.

1.5?: Thanks, I will look into that.

2. I would, except that the installer thinks that the whole drive is unallocated space.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Can you boot again to the live Xubuntu system, then open a terminal and post the output from the command
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    It would also be useful to see a screenshot of a gparted window; I am pretty sure gparted is available on the live Xubuntu system without you needing to install anything to it, so just use the print screen key, save the image then attach it back here by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar, and navigating to the image you saved.
    Here is the result of the command you said to input:
    http://imgur.com/KMVIN

I took two screenshots, one of how Windows views the partitioning, and one on gparted respectively:
    http://imgur.com/zADLt

http://imgur.com/qlMvu

Hope this is what you meant!

EDIT: totally thought html format would work... sorry >.>

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    I would say don't try to install until you figure out why it doesn't see your win7. It's pointless to install since without seeing win7 is there it will not create a dual boot.

Boot into live mode with the cd, open terminal and post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    sudo parted -l
    The disk can show as unallocated if there is some error in the partition table. Windows often ignores some errors but linux doesn't.

Another thing, is the disk in windows Basic or Dynamic? Check in windows Disk Management for this. If it's Dynamic, don't even try to install since that is MS format and linux doesn't understand it correctly.

Also, are you using UEFI bios/boot or the older standard BIOS boot?

http://imgur.com/ew5N6

http://imgur.com/1SwWN

There are the results of the two commands you had me input.

It says Basic btw.

I don't know what the last part means, I'm very sorry. Ummm.... Although the word BIOS is familiar. I did enter the live usb by using the boot menu.

Beans

Some screenshots of the Xubuntu install window.

http://imgur.com/vdoEX

Here you can see there is no option for installing alongside.
    You can also see the two halves of the HDD as unmounted drives on the left on the desktop.

http://imgur.com/UIWDu
    Here you can see what I get when I select the "something else" button on the last screen.
    There is an obvious difference between what is in the window and what is in the desktop.

EDIT: side note: I will be leaving for work in an hour or so. I'll be able to check this page, but I will be away from the desktop that I'm writing about and will not be able to try your suggestions until 7pm central.
    I will stay in contact if I can though.
    Last edited by Jpendragon; September 1st, 2012 at 03:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

OK, we got it. The results of fdisk -lu helped. By the way, the parameter of the commands I asked you to run -l was small L, not the number 1. That's why I posted them as code, so you can see it's curved, the L. That's why it said parameter not recognized, because you tried -1.

Anyway, you have a left over gpt backup table. It seems this disk was used with gpt partition table and then you converted it to msdos with windows. But windows doesn't delete the backup gpt table which linux can detect and it gets confused whether the disk is msdos or gpt. Use fixparts to remove the backup gpt table and you're OK.
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    OK, we got it. The results of fdisk -lu helped. By the way, the parameter of the commands I asked you to run -l was small L, not the number 1. That's why I posted them as code, so you can see it's curved, the L. That's why it said parameter not recognized, because you tried -1.

Anyway, you have a left over gpt backup table. It seems this disk was used with gpt partition table and then you converted it to msdos with windows. But windows doesn't delete the backup gpt table which linux can detect and it gets confused whether the disk is msdos or gpt. Use fixparts to remove the backup gpt table and you're OK.
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/

Okay, I will try that tonight when I get back home. Thank you so much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast