Thread: 10.04.4 to 12.04.1 - upgrade option disabled

Beans

Angry 10.04.4 to 12.04.1 - upgrade option disabled

Hi,

First my apologies if this is already in this forum - probably my patience didn't allow me to search properly

I patiently waited for 12.04.1 to come and downloaded the x64 CD ISO image for Ubuntu (the default / standard version with Unity). I then created a bootable pendrive using the utility referred in the Ubuntu site itself and booted from it. I chose Install Ubuntu from the boot menu option and then arrived at the screen which listed 4 options - one of which was "Upgrade 10.04.4 to 12.04.1" which is really what I want.

But to my utter disappointment, that option is disabled! I have 10.04.4 x64 with all the latest updates as of today (India Time). Still I couldn't see the required option enabled.

Thanks in advance for the help.

rgds,
    Watson

Beans

Re: 10.04.4 to 12.04.1 - upgrade option disabled

Hi,

After some googling, I seem to get some hint. I have quite a lot of non-standard / PPA software sources in my Update Manager settings. Some pages suggest that I might have to disable them. Before proceeding with that, I just thought I could wait for a confirmation from this forum.

Once again, thanks in advance for help.

rgds,
    Watson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You could try in a terminal

Code:
    sudo update-manager -d
    But since you are about making a big version jump, I would strongly suggest that you backup all important data before you attempt the upgrade.

Beans

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is, in India as of now, the Internet speed is abominably slow. Hence your suggestion of 'sudo update-manager -d' is not an option for me - all the more since I also have the installable of 12.04.1.

I found something in the meantime. By unchecking all the non-standard Software Sources in the Update Manager settings and then booting from the pen-drive (containing the bootable 12.04.1), I am getting the required Menu option enabled!

The supplementary question now is, how do I still get to use the apps already installed in 10.04.4 and still get the updates for them.

Thanks and rgds,
    Watson