Thread: Repair Ubuntu Install

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Repair Ubuntu Install

So first off, I don't want to hear I should back up, if I had a way to back everything up I would not be here. It's unnecessary comments that don't help and will only make me mad.

So here is what happened, I uninstalled Empathy IM client and with that apparently lost an important package... the name threw me, but i thought who would have uninstalling a poor replacement for pidgin remove a vital file and accepted it. Now I can't seem to boot into my system. I don't know what file I lost or how to repair the issue, and I really don't want to reinstall, I got my system the way I like (and yes yes i should have backed up). Any Ideas?
    -Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit
    river

Beans
    Distro

Re: Repair Ubuntu Install

Probably should add some more details looking at this.

Right after I uninstalled Emapathy, my computer crashed, it seemed to be taking care of something, but my usual response was reboot, and when I rebooted it got stuck on the ubuntu login screen. I rebooted again and it did not even get there.
    -Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit
    river

Beans
    Distro

Re: Repair Ubuntu Install

So I sort of got it working. For anyone who is wondering what I had to do was get grub access (through installing a new ubuntu partition), and revert to an earlier kernel from the main install
    -Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit
    river