Thread: The state of our beloved tux guitar

Lightbulb The state of our beloved tux guitar

First of all, I just want to say many, many thanks to everyone who has worked on Tuxguitar. This program is awesome, and I want to keep it going.

That said, does anyone currently maintain the software or web site?

Currently the site looks like it is down:
    http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/

And the forums have been full of spam for months now.

I would like to try and do the following:
    *Start a kickstarter to get funding
    *Find someone who can actively maintain tuxguitar with funding from the kickstarter
    *Find someone who can actively maintain the tuxguitar forums, as least as much as removing the spam
    *Get some decent hosting + domain name for the site
    *Work on adding features + bug fixes

I'm currently have little time for dev work at the moment, but could certainly provide funding myself.

Some of the issues I would like to see worked on:

Bug fixes:
    *Ensure that sound works out of the box in Ubuntu. I have done fresh installs on at least 10 different systems, and there is a problem with the sound in every install. Either it doesn't play nice with other apps, or sound simply doesn't work at all.
    *There should be a bundled option where you get timitdity + decent soundfonts out of the box.
    *Sound is terribly laggy. It skips all over the place. It works fine when you export to midi and convert to wav with timidity. Problem with java perhaps? It is not a good thing when music software can't keep a beat.
    *Trying to type a number into the start/stop measure number text box is glitchy.
    *Defaults are not saved in dialog boxes. (eg you have to uncheck a check box every single time, which can cause problems that you don't realize until down the line)

New features:
    *Copying and pasting measures from other files. (AFAIK this isn't possible)
    *Export to wav + mp3 (for folks that are uncomfortable with using a terminal)
    *"Strum" flag, that sounds like you are doing a quick strum of the notes.
    *Ability to mix levels on individual drum instruments (sometimes kick is way too quiet for example) this is probably more of a timidity thing.
    *Ritardano for a number of measures.
    *Ability to increase/decrease all tempos in a song by a certain factor. (So if you are slowing a song down to learn it, you don't have to change an arbitrary number of tempo settings by hand).
    *Mixer window is pretty unwieldy and needs cleanup. Track names on the tracks would help, along with a way to type in a number for volume.
    *Tux guitar doesn't remember the height of the track listing window at the bottom. In some cases, with a small enough screen and lots of tracks, this becomes annoying very fast.

Not going to lie, I absolutely *hate* the amount of memory + cpu that java apps use. I would love to see a natively built elf binary, but I realize that would be an insane amount of work.

Anyway, if you are interested in this, send me a pm or reply on here.

And again, I want to emphasize that I have the utmost respect and thanks to everyone who has worked on this project!

Beans

Re: The state of our beloved tux guitar

Great initiative! Tuxguitar is a brilliant program, though it has its flaws (MIDI export of percussion tracks is one I just bumped into), and I can only hope development will continue on it. Java is not my thing, so I don't know if I can do something, though I'm always willing to try.
    I.

Thanks

I am still interested in this but unfortunately have not had too much time to spend on it yet. I'll try and get the kickstarter thing done by the end of the week, or at least figure out the goals there.

Still having problems with sound working while running other applications like vlc or hydrogen. Jack might be a potential workaround.

Sound is still incredibly laggy, which is sad if your drum machine can't even keep time. I tried installing a real time kernel, no luck on that.

95% sure it's a problem with java.

Recent bug I noticed:
    *Misc resizing / scrolling isn't sticking

Recent feature:
    *Export wav + mp3 *per track.*

PM me if interested

Cheers!

Beans

Definitively a kickstarter campaign would be very useful, there's a lot of us who surely would contribute.

I've been reading this:

http://sourceforge.net/p/tuxguitar/d...b30b/?limit=50

Where they comment some progress still inside 2009 version... and also they state a comparison with musescore, which makes me wonder if better than developing tuxguitar by itself wouldn't it be better to integrate it inside musescore? is something like that even possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thread closed.

Please don't reply on old threads. It is much better to create a new one. Feel free to link this one if you want.

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.