View Poll Results: Are you a programmer?

Voters
252. You may not vote on this poll
  • I code for a living (and possibly for fun too)

67 26.59%
  • I code for fun only

50 19.84%
  • I'm proficient in a little coding

46 18.25%
  • I got trained in some kind of coding at some point, but I don't code

34 13.49%
  • I don't code

48 19.05%
  • Other (please explain)

7 2.78%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a programmer or not?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Are you a programmer or not?

There's another thread out there asking how many people actually code, but it appears to be answered only by people who actually do code.

I'm just curious, though, about how many people code and how many people don't code.

Edit: By the way, I answered "I got trained in some kind of coding at some point, but I don't code." My senior year in high school, I took an AP Computer Science course that was in... Pascal, I think? We did stuff like putting values into an array and them pulling them out with While loops.

I've long forgotten how to do anything like that, and I don't even know if that language is viable any more. People seem to use Python, C++, and Java or whatnot.

Every now and then I get the urge to look at a programming for beginners book, but the "hello world" thing really turns me off.
    Last edited by aysiu; June 28th, 2006 at 06:45 AM.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Are you a programmer or not?

I can code, but I mostly do consulting nowadays.

Beans

I can't code!!!

let's see, my coding skills max out at...the "hello world" online tutorials...
    Last edited by ubuntuman001; September 17th, 2006 at 05:20 AM.
    acer e5-571-5552 | core i5-4210u | intel hd graphics 4400 | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I'm taking a computer science course at school so I somewhat can.. and learning some more languages on my own this summer. for now it's just for fun, hopefully someday I can do something useful with it...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I've been programming for fun since forever (I was developing rules for pen and paper RPGs and strategy/tactics games since before I can remember, and transitioned easily to doing the same in code when I first used a computer).

I graduated with a BS in computer science (didn't learn a damn thing) a little over a year ago, and have been programming professionally since.

Right now, I'm in the process of starting my own software company (which will mostly make games that run on Windows, OSX, and Linux --- I'll be sure to tell everybody how to pay for my stuff as soon as I have some stuff to sell).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I started programming early on in basic, then later qbasic and vbdos. I also learned a bit of assembly. All self taught at the time.

In high school I took AP Computer Science (Pascal here too), Programming in C, and a combined Visual C++ and Java class. On the side I also learned VB3 and later moved up to 4 and then 6. Javascript was pretty easy.

Straight out of high school I got a summer job writing small VB apps and asp pages in vbscript, which turned into a part time job when I went to college. In college (SOU) I managed to take every CS course offered (I think) and nearly every CIS course, excluding the first year courses. Learned some more languages such as perl, Oracle PL/SQL, VB.Net, and C#, most of which I've barely used since. But overall I'm sure it made me a better programmer, and I learned some OpenGL.

Around the middle of college I switched jobs to the one I have now. I write a lot of javascript and sql, and basically do everything that the rest of the company doesn't know how to do. They have a scary old ERP system written in COBOL that I swear belongs on thedailywtf.com, and getting any useful information out of it requires a lot of custom reports. I occasionally find a task suited for C or Java, and jump at the opportunity. I've quietly taught myself some php and python on the job, but I've only had a few opportunities to use them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

i am a for fun programmer and i have been doing it for a few years (6-8).
    Stromham -- Owner of Mephis LLC. -- Mephis
    -- BugSquad Member -- Have a bug? Please Report it! -- Linux user 420022 --

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wink Re: Are you a programmer or not?

code for living - graduated recently as a software engineer. Though not what most of you probably are interested in . Yes, MS .NET stuff with SQL 2005 backend

Beans

For those who favor a distinction between the terms "programmer", "developer", "computer scientist" and "coder", I'd be closer to a drive-by developer. I started out with BASIC on a C64, continued with pascal and objectpascal (Delphi) and now I know my way around javascript, html, css, bash and am trying to get round to becoming semi-proficient with python and ruby. I also work with multimedia programming environments such as Processing and Pure Data. I'm also into computation theory and spend time with theoretical texts considered essential by computer scientists and programmers.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Programmers of the world, unite!

I code for a living, and I'm lucky enough to do stuff I actually consider fun *and* get paid for it. Isn't life great?

- trib'

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast