Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Windows based programs be installed in Ubuntu

Beans

Can Windows based programs be installed in Ubuntu

Hi Folks,

My name is Bruce.

I'm a microsoft user and tired of it. Thinking of switching to Ubuntu for operating system.

I run all windows based programs currently and was wondering if windows based programs can be installed on ubuntu.

Cause all the programs i normally use as i remember didn't have a linux based options?

So how limited would i be?

Thanks,
    Bruce

Beans

Re: Can Windows based programs be installed in Ubuntu

You may use wine (emulator for windows programs).
    There are a lot of programs for Linux -- just have a look at Software Center.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I run Ubuntu 12.04 with Cinnamon desktop and I have not missed any of my old Windows programs. Libre Office has everything MS Office and the files can be used in Linux. Most MS programs can be replaced with Linux programs. You can ask about specifics in the forums and somebody will be happy to answer your questions. Good luck and enjoy Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Its quite a big change to switch to Linux. I would suggest you install a dual boot system (ie when you start your PC you can choose either windows or Ubuntu) and try out Ubuntu fully before ditching windows. (Even easier is to have Ubuntu on one PC and windows on another if you have the luxury of 2 - you could then use dropbox or similar to share data)

Most windows programs have great linux equivalents. Some windows programs can be run using WINE (see winehq.org) but its not a great way to work. Native linux programs are usually the best way to go.

I suggest you read this http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/...ows-to-ubuntu/
    Last edited by roger_1960; September 1st, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
    Acer Aspire 1353 Xubuntu 12.04 (32 bit)
    Toshiba A200 LXLE 14.04(64 bit)
    Asus EeePC 1011PX LXLE 14.04 (64 bit) dual boot W7

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Welcome to the forums.

Windows is not Linux
    http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

I dual booted for a long time. I kept promising to shut my XP down, but one application just did not work in Ubuntu and I did not think equivalents were as good or good enough. Well with improvements the equivalent is not great but now good enough for me.

Some applications work better in Linux, some just about as good but it is a different program so you have to relearn some things & some just are not as good. So it depends on what you primarily use.

Linux alternatives to windows apps
    http://www.osalt.com/
    http://www.linuxappfinder.com/
    http://www.linuxalt.com/

Best Free Software for Linux
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...ware-linux.htm

I knew well before I installed Ubuntu, that I was going to, but installed Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice (now LibreOffice) in XP, so I could understand the applications I use the most and not have major issues of a new system and all new applications.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by batman6630016 View Post
    I'm a microsoft user and tired of it. Thinking of switching to Ubuntu for operating system.
    Fantastic. We are happy that you are willing to try something new AND different. MS-Windows has taught you many things. Some are useful for migrating to Linux, but many are not. There is a very different philosophy in Linux. Don't expect many things to work the same. It is like learning a foreign language. The curve is not as steep today as when I was learning, so you are lucky, but it is still not trivial.

For me, the package managers in Linux overrule everything else in other operating systems. Staying patched is trivial for every program maintained by the package manager. No need to hunt down changes from every vendor, microsoft, adobe, oracle, mozilla, google, (or any 5,000 other tiny software vendors) to get updates. The package manager handles all of those for you with 2 commands or 1 click in a GUI or completely automatically. Your choice.

Control and choice are the main ideas underpinning Linux. Other OSes allow choice, but not control. Another OS allows little choice and little control, but end-users seem to appreciate that 1-way to accomplish a task and only 1 program that does it. The choices can be overwhelming with Linux. So can all the different controls.

There are 100 ways to accomplish any task in Linux. Sometimes there are thousands of ways.

I run all windows based programs currently and was wondering if windows based programs can be installed on ubuntu.
    Almost all of us ran Windows programs before switching and we all thought those were good tools. Only later did we learn those tools were extremely limiting, but our experience to that point didn't let us consider other alternatives. Open your mind. Some things are very similar, but many are very different. Linux is much better if you want to let the computer automate things. Instead of pointing-n-clicking all the time to get an answer, the answer can be pulled down automatically for you without your action at all. You just need to set that up the action once.

Cause all the programs i normally use as i remember didn't have a linux based options?
    So how limited would i be?
    You are limited today under MS-Windows. Perhaps you simply don't know it? And how could you until you try something different? That doesn't mean try it once, hate it and leave. It means a real attempt - a few weeks, perhaps 6 months. It will grow on you. Promise.

Windows and Linux are different. They have different strengths and weaknesses. Only you can decide whether the strengths of Linux override the weaknesses of Windows.

There isn't just one Linux. There are hundreds of slightly different versions, called flavors. They are similar, but different. Each distro is designed for a slightly different need. Obviously,we are in the Ubuntu Forums, so most of us prefer Ubuntu-based solutions. Personally, I use 3 different Ubuntu versions -
    * LXDE-Ubuntu - Lubuntu - lighter weight than stock ubuntu
    * Ubuntu - the base install - "stock"
    * Ubuntu Server - no GUI - designed to be extremely stable and run network services

A good way to start the process is to list the top 10 programs that you use in Windows and look for alternatives. If you can't find any alternative, ask here.Usually there is a great alternative, but sometimes there is not. In that case, the program might run great under WINE, but not all programs will run. Check the WINEHQ AppDB http://appdb.winehq.org/ for information and specific steps to make it work.

I know that switching to Linux is possible. My 82 yr old Mother did it 3 yrs ago and doesn't want to go back. I'd been teaching her to use programs on Windows that also ran on Linux for a few years. The change was trivial to her since the same programs were used. She was already using best-in-breed apps that also worked perfectly on Linux. Some of your apps are probably like that, but you are not aware.

Some of the other ideas are outlined here: http://blog.jdpfu.com/2012/02/15/beg...t-shift-needed - basically it says that working the Linux/UNIX way is different from the Windows way. A different thought process will be helpful to get the most from your Linux experience.

In UNIX, tools are generally built to do 1 thing really well, then you chain those tools together to accomplish your desired, final, goal.

For trivial tasks, 1 method seems easy than the other, but as a task becomes more subtle, more complex or you want to automate it, then Linux is the clear winner.

Plus you'll never need to see iTunes again! Isn't that enough reason to switch?

Beans

Onw should googlw the windows app you wish to use and see if anyone else has tried it. Also go to the winehq site and look around and see what windows software they have tested. And see what partially works also.

I use adobe photoshop 5.5 - nothing in linux is as good as that in my opinion. I also use adobe full 4.0 to make pdfs. And I also use Microsoft Frontpage 2000 ( the best wyswyg web page editor/constructor out there in my opinion ) , there is bluefish and kompozer under linux.
    I like kompozer but it is lacking in features as compared to frontpage.

And as far as office software goes libreoffice or koffice should meet all but the the most demanding users.

Hope that helps in some way.

Oh you will find that a lot of windows software that relies on graphics cards and hardware will be harder to get running then those that don.t . Like windows modems and the like.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

TheFu, I really wanted to commend you on your post. Probably one of the best I have seen regarding the Linux Vs Windows debate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Perhaps a viable alternative would be to install Ubuntu as a dual boot. That way, you have the choice at start up whether to run Ubuntu , or Windows.

Beans

Very in depth info. I want to thank everyone who has posted answers to my first of many question to come about ubuntu.

I will dual boot it on my laptop first and work with it to help me decide. Once i decide then i'll switch my desktops and server at my office.

Thanks so much.
    Bruce
    Greater Atlanta, GA
    War Eagle!
    Last edited by batman6630016; September 1st, 2012 at 06:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast