Thread: Mousewheel Scrolls in Opposite Directions, Workspace Switching Doesn't Work

Beans
    Hidden!

Mousewheel Scrolls in Opposite Directions, Workspace Switching Doesn't Work

Hello everybody!

I'm getting better at creating precise thread titles - not much to add to this.

so, when i scroll down, it scrolls up and when i scroll up it scrolls down. happens in firefox as well as in file manager (thunar or pcmanfm).

my installation is originally xubuntu but i did a lot of tweaking. for a long time i thought this is an openbox thing, but now i booted into the default xubuntu session with xfwm4 as window manager, and it's the same.
    [openbox has a feature for workspace switching by scrolling on the desktop background, and there it gets even worse: it switches quickly to the other workspace and back to the first (i have only two).]

i have now freaking clue what's happening here...

thankful for any help!!!
    Last edited by ohnonot; September 1st, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
    please stick to the facts and be kind.
    what else can you do when you don't know each other.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my avatar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Mousewheel Scrolls in Opposite Directions, Workspace Switching Doesn't Work

In Xubuntu, did you check Settings Manager -> Mouse and Touchpad -> Reverse scroll direction?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    In Xubuntu, did you check Settings Manager -> Mouse and Touchpad -> Reverse scroll direction?
    it was UNchecked, so i checked it. works in xubuntu session.
    but with openbox i'm not using the setting manager anymore - strangely, checking it worked for a few seconds, then it unchecked itself again????
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my avatar

Beans
    Hidden!

problem persists.
    further exploration: raising number of workspaces to 4: workspace switching by way of scrolling on the desktop switches 2 workspaces at a time. so from 1 to 3 (although i see 2 flickering for a moment) and from 3 back to 1.

logging into the default xubuntu session, everything works nicely except the mouse wheel scrolls in the wrong direction. i can fix it by checking "reverse scroll direction" in the xfce4-settingsmanager->mouse.

maybe this is not openbox specific - i was thinking that maybe i have 2 mouse drivers running at the same time?

any help, ideas, explanation is appreciated!

thanks.

ps: the mouse is part of a logitech wireless optical desktop mk250, that's wireless keyboard and mouse sharing one usb receiver. touchpad (this is an old laptop) is disabled in the bios.

Beans
    Hidden!

2 SOLUTIONS!

1.) (the openbox bit) here:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openbox
    "If you have a problem changing virtual desktops with the mouse wheel skipping over desktops, edit ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml. Move the mouse binds with... actions "DesktopPrevious" and "DesktopNext" from context Desktop to the context Root. Note that you may need to create a definition for the Root context as well"

2.) scrolling in opposite directions:
    http://maketecheasier.com/reverse-mo...tion-in-ubuntu
    In my home folder there was a file called .Xmodmap with the following content:
    pointer = 1 2 3 5 4 6 7 8 9 10 11 12- i simply deleted it.
    i think exchanging the numbers 5 and 4 would have had the same effect.

- still i wonder, why did all this happen in the first place???
    Last edited by ohnonot; September 11th, 2012 at 08:03 AM.